Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Regionals

I see the fields are to be announced soon, and as much as I still HATE the format (track races have no 'resolution' and a lot of top field eventers quit early), it's all we've got for now.
    What it DOES do is whet the appetite for the Big Show showdowns, East vs. West. The depth in many events is phenomenal. I love how the TFRRS databse can be narrowed down to Top 5 and you can scroll through all the events.

Here's some NCAA fifth-bests:

Men/Women
    400 - 44.74/50.95
    1500 - 3:37.41/4:10.82
    110/100H - 13.46/12.73
    400R - 38.89/42.70 (USC/LSU twice m/w)
    PV - 18-6/14-7
    SP - 66-10/58-2

I have attended 2 NCAA regional meets, (both in Austin, TX) and I have come to the conclusion that from a spectator's (mine) point of view, they are a total waste of time. This is just my opinion folks. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
      I have attended 2 NCAA regional meets, (both in Austin, TX) and I have come to the conclusion that from a spectator's (mine) point of view, they are a total waste of time. This is just my opinion folks. Nothing more, nothing less.
      I have officiated at every West Regional since their ill-advised inception and I agree completely... it is frustrating to walk away in mid-competition and wait two weeks for the finals.

Comment

I have been to one, in Austin because a nephew's wedding was in Austin that weekend. It was not great but it was better than I expected despite it being quite warm.

In another coincidence, I have another nephew getting married in Eugene on June 9, so I am going early to go the as much of the NCAA meet as I can, given other obligations. Hope to see some regulars there - I have pretty mediocre seats Row 20 in Section F.

Comment

having announced multiple Regionals allow me to confirm that they are a preposterous waste of time from a fan's point of view (and similarly so for almost all athletes of significance)

Comment

I'll just have to cancel my long 15 minute drive to the East Prelims next weekend.

Comment

The Regionals were seriously diminished by the decision to eliminate point scoring and team trophies or other team recognition and at the same time to call them prelims, rather than Regional Championships. As a result, there's no incentive for an athlete to do more than qualify for the Nationals. At the top level in each meet, there's no real competition. Yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                The Regionals were seriously diminished by the decision to eliminate point scoring and team trophies or other team recognition and at the same time to call them prelims, rather than Regional Championships. As a result, there's no incentive for an athlete to do more than qualify for the Nationals. At the top level in each meet, there's no real competition. Yawn.
                This is why they are now called "Preliminary" meets and not "Regional" meets.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                  The Regionals were seriously diminished by the decision to eliminate point scoring and team trophies or other team recognition ....
                  Having been condemned (oh, sorry, PRIVILEGED) to have been (stuck) behind the mike at the inaugural West Regional in '03, I can assure you that even if it had been Howard Cosell and Dandy Don Meredith behind the mike at that piece of crap, there was zero—make that ZE-FUCKING-RO—team thrills remotely possible at that dog & pony show.

Subsequent versions have only gone downhill.

The only "excitement" I have seen at any of the multiple versions to which I have been (always voluntarily) subjected is that a Hayward Field version generates a frisson of excitement when a Duck does well, but otherwise..... ooo! look at the grass in the middle of the infield; i think it's growing!

Comment

ps--in part 2, how i really think :-)

Comment

So, how come we are stuck with this abomination? i am not motivated to drive a thousand miles to watch some heats and work three jump prelims.

Comment

I think that one reason is that if this does not go as the preliminary round, then track and field has an unacceptably small number of contestants in the 'post season' relative to the overall number of participants. The same thing might be behind a move to have two super-regionals/semi-finals (rather than 9 preliminary regionals). 64 Schools total, half in each section, with conference champs in and the rest in by ranking of some sort, the problem being to rank the 64st best program and distinguish it from the non-qualified 65th program...

Comment

Just go back to the 4 Regionals, with finals, crown some event and team Region champs and move on to the NCAAs. The NCAA has a GREAT opportunity to promote the sport, AND please the athletes and fans, but they're blowing it. Is T&F just such an after-thought in the NCAA that they just don't give a Flying F*** about the sport and its fans??!! UGH (Unleash Garry Hill) on them!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Just go back to the 4 Regionals, with finals, crown some event and team Region champs and move on to the NCAAs. The NCAA has a GREAT opportunity to promote the sport, AND please the athletes and fans, but they're blowing it. Is T&F just such an after-thought in the NCAA that they just don't give a Flying F*** about the sport and its fans??!! UGH (Unleash Garry Hill) on them!!
                            There you have it.. "they" fixed something that was not broken.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                              There you have it.. "they" fixed something that was not broken.
                              What was the previous system? I believe the current system has been in place since at least 2011-2012, which was my first year in the NCAA, and therefore the first year I closely followed the whole season (not that I ever came close to the regional meets)

Comment

Working...
                              X