Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Generation of young (14 yr old) Milers

The Illinois Middle School Track Championships yesterday produced an amazing one mile finish that produced the following times:

1st place: 4:38.34
    2nd place: 4:38.39
    3rd place: 4:38.72

I have followed the 2nd place finisher, Spencer Werner, from Lake Forest Deerpath Middle School during year as my 5th grade grandson attends and ran on Deerpath's Middle School's xc and track team during the year. I knew right away Spencer was something special when he ran. He won the State Middle School xc championship in November.

Can you imagine the finishing judges trying to separate the finishers and times without a photo finish picture to consult? I am not sure if one was planned or available for the mile race.

Spencer will be attending a very good high school this fall and I would like to predict a sub 4:00 mile time by his junior year.

Wow another generation of young milers on the horizon.

I hope your right, but predicting a 14 year old with a best of 4:38 in the mile will be a sub 4 minute miler by his junior year of high school the odds are extremely against it.

Comment

Keeping things in perspective
      Age records for 1 mile
      12 years - 4:36
      13 years - 4:29
      14 years - 4:19 - Jim Arriola, 1974
      15 years - 4:08
      16 years - 3:56.29 - Jakob Ingebrigtsen

I knew Jim Arriola very well as I helped recruit him to USMA West Point. Once he decided on a West Point there was never any real chance of Jim developing further as the Academy is not a great place for athletes Because of the Studland military requirements.

Comment

I recall a couple of freshman milers when I was a HS frosh running around 4:31 and that was 45 years ago. Neither did anything afterwards. In fact, I'm not sure one of them ever competed beyond freshman year and went and played football instead.

On the other hand, I recall the story of another guy from a few years earlier who couldn't break 5 as a freshman yet ended up running pretty quickly.

I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from what 14 year olds do in any situation.

Comment

Too many variables and too big a burden of expectations for 14 year olds. Depending on the kid the work load to run that fast in 8th grade might even be counter-productive in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
            Keeping things in perspective
            Age records for 1 mile
            12 years - 4:36
            13 years - 4:29
            14 years - 4:19 - Jim Arriola, 1974
            15 years - 4:08
            16 years - 3:56.29 - Jakob Ingebrigtsen
            Arriola ran 4:08.8 as a 15 year old.

12 - 4:36.80 - Jeremy Kain 13 Jul 17
            13 - 4:29.0 - Andrew Barnett 1 Jun 69
            14 - 4:19.73 - Ryan Silva 12 Jun 10
            15 - 4:08.8 - Jim Arriola 1 Jun 74
            16 - 3:56.29 - Jakob Ingebrigtsen 15 Jun 17

Comment

I did not mean to imply that I was predicting success 3-4 years ago on these three eighth graders but it was great to see the .38 seconds separating three 8th graders down straightaway.

I am sure someone noticed Jim Ryun first running in his sophomore year in his first mile race ever running 4:32 and said "Wow"

Thanks for info on Jim Arriola. His 4:08.8 was 1 week before his 16th birthday and bettered his previous mile time by seven seconds. He ran 4:09 and 4:10 his junior and senior years which is not too bad. Career did not end in West Point but training and competition did. There is info that he holds or held 9th fastest West Point 1500 meter time of 3:52.6 in 1978 and anchored West Points 6th fastest indoor 2 mile relay in 1979.

Thanks for other names

Comment

Working...
              X