Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching kits/uniforms. WHY???

Oh my Lord - why?
    Why does Nike and Adidas (and Brooks) insist on just having their athletes where matchy matching uniforms?
    I don't get it.
    Would NASCAR ever just have all their cars look alike?
    As someone with a marketing background, I just don't get it. It seems so wrong-headed. But - I know Nike & Adidas can't be dummies.

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post
    Would NASCAR ever just have all their cars look alike?
    This isn’t a great analogy. There are dozens of primary sponsors in stock car racing. In fact, each squad has dozens of sponsors. If Pennzoil or Quaker State or whoever were the primary sponsors for multiple cars you can bet your ass they’d all be decked out the same.

There are only a few major sponsors for dozens of athletes in an athletics contest. The shoe companies train of thought is this—if the general public sees that 8 out of 12 starters in the Bislett Dream Mile are wearing the exact same Nike kit, they are going to assume Nike is far and away the best. Present a unified front.

A few agents/training groups have earned enough leeway over the years to wear special kit.

Comment

Its excellent marketing. I think back to the 2012 or 2016 Olympics. Nike made sure that all their athletes wore bright neon shoes so, as Big Tusk said, the general public sees a field of Nike athletes in the Olympic final and winning most of the medals, they will assume its the best.

Comment

The matching uniforms kind of make sense,I'm cool with it, but it just gets weird for me when the other companies start to match the Nike look as well!

Comment

Basic advertising period. Excellent move on their part.

Comment

I've heard commentators (Hutchings, Masback??) say it's tough to know who's who with matching tops!
            Unless runners are 100% familiar to them, how can they tell who's who?

Comment

Apparently back in the 50s & 60s many British athletes avoided buying Adidas kit as they felt they were paying extra so that Adidas could pay athletes to wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                I've heard commentators (Hutchings, Masback??) say it's tough to know who's who with matching tops!
                Unless runners are 100% familiar to them, how can they tell who's who?
                Yep. They need some sort of individual identifying mark/patch/something discernible across the track.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun5150 View Post
                  Maybe, but not very good for spectators trying to follow a race and figure out who's who.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    Maybe, but not very good for spectators trying to follow a race and figure out who's who.
                    In which sport (aside from 1v1 tennis, boxing etc) is that easy to do at all?

Comment

Originally posted by cajun5150 View Post
                      I've worked in advertising for over 25 years. So, I will continue to hold my stance on this.

Sameness does not help a brand stand out.
                      The best advertising helps tell stories, and the only story being told here is that Nike decided to have the majority of their athletes blend together into a murky pile of sameness.
                      Would you suggest that Nike have KD, Kyrie, and LeBron all wear the same Nikes? Because that has not been their playbook.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                        In which sport (aside from 1v1 tennis, boxing etc) is that easy to do at all?
                        football, basketball, soccer, ......etc.. players wear numbers, identifiable from a distance.

Comment

Golf is a better analogy than team sports.....Nike golfers all wear different outfits....in track they just want to keep it simple....it's such a minor sport these days so why bother....just plug that seasons new look on everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post
                            Would you suggest that Nike have KD, Kyrie, and LeBron all wear the same Nikes? Because that has not been their playbook.
                            that's a different kettle of fish. Nike can make millions of dollars crafting a few different variieties of incredibly high-priced star-driven shoes. There's nothing equivalent in track.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Golf is a better analogy than team sports.....Nike golfers all wear different outfits....in track they just want to keep it simple....it's such a minor sport these days so why bother....just plug that seasons new look on everyone.
                              This^
                              Track fans deserve better.

Comment

Working...
                              X