Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many NCAA underclassman tricksters just went pro?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Kate Hall, Georgia LJ, see link on home page.

No sponsorship announcement; her tweet just says she is giving up her “last year at UGA to focus on qualifying for the World Championships next year.” [Technically she has two outdoor seasons of collegiate eligibility remaining, and one indoor].

A reply by Bulldog coach Kyprianou wisher her the best in her professional career, so the parting was amicable, as Hall heads home to Maine to train with those who coached her to a HS record back in 2015.

I have not read any news or seen any interviews that might explain her disappointing day in Eugene (16th place).

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Akeem Bloomfield goes pro, signed with Puma.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...field_goes_pro

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    But that appears to be only for Olympic medal bonuses, not a blanket exemption allowing NCAA athletes to collect money anywhere anytime from their country's federation.
    I think it includes world championships too, and other competitions in which they're representing their country.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    But that appears to be only for Olympic medal bonuses, not a blanket exemption allowing NCAA athletes to collect money anywhere anytime from their country's federation.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Isaiah Harris listed as a Nike athlete in the 800m final tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell View Post
    Are NCAA athletes able to receive support from their national federations without losing eligibility?
    Since 2015 they have.

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletic...u1nyhvs6a2l1g6

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I think the NCAA turns a blind eye to what happens with foreign students and their federations.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by doug5321 View Post
    Not sure about J. Kerr as he is not on the level of the others mentioned, but he is a young prospect a developing athlete, and he is British so I am sure he will get something from his country's federation.
    Are NCAA athletes able to receive support from their national federations without losing eligibility? I guess cash stipends would be a no-no, but about in-kind benefits like coaching, medical support or training camps paid by the federation?

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    we asked Holloway about the tweet: his partial response

<<It can be on the record, nothing is happening. Outside sources keep saying I’m going pro>>
    He told his hometown local paper the same thing.
    https://pilotonline.com/sports/other...106f8154e.html

Holloway laughed at “sources” that said he’ll show up in Iowa in colors other than Florida orange and blue – a sign that he has turned pro.
    “I’ll be the first to tell you that I’m coming back for another year,” he said.
    Speculation that he would turn pro is understandable. If Holloway were a football or basketball player, he’d likely be the No. 1 pick in the draft.
    For now, he’s content to be a kid for one more summer. With no world championship meet this year, he’ll return to Chesapeake for a month, to relax and spend time with his parents and friends.
    Mike Holloway said Grant told him in April that he’d be back.
    “If Grant was ready to turn pro, I’d be his biggest supporter,” he said. “I’m happy he’s coming back. He has some lofty goals.”

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I admit I'm not familiar with pro contract perks!...
    the high-enders (and that's a very high bar) may get perks, but teh average kid who turns pro gets "perks"; this ain't a ball sport.

Leave a comment:

• doug5321
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I just assumed!
    I admit I'm not familiar with pro contract perks!
    But I just assumed they get a free plane trip, a hotel (nice, but not necessarily fancy!), and a per diem for meals!
    But never assume!
    LOL
    Guaranteed most of the ones we are talking about on this thread S. McLaughlin, M. Norman, R. Benjamin, K. Ellis and if Grant Holloway turns Pro they will get Plane, Hotel and appearance fees, As They Should, They are the Show/Entertainment, Not sure about J. Kerr as he is not on the level of the others mentioned, but he is a young prospect a developing athlete, and he is British so I am sure he will get something from his country's federation.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    How do you know they all get free trips to Europe and get to stay in fancy hotels. I would be surprised if some of the ones turning pro get that level of financial support
    I just assumed!
    I admit I'm not familiar with pro contract perks!
    But I just assumed they get a free plane trip, a hotel (nice, but not necessarily fancy!), and a per diem for meals!
    But never assume!
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    So not a yes but not saying he won't be going pro soon.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    we asked Holloway about the tweet: his partial response

<<It can be on the record, nothing is happening. Outside sources keep saying I’m going pro>>

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    cryptic tweet by Grant Holloway

S. Grant Holloway
    ‏ @Flaamingoo_

It’s been real. No cap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X