Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accurate Attendance at USATF for each of the 4 days?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate Attendance at USATF for each of the 4 days?

Unable to locate any attendance figures for the DesMoines USATF Championships.

Checked the latest 2 issues of Track Newsletter ... not reported, nor were temps.

The temperatures may have been higher than the attendance.

Comment

about 10

Comment

There were 3,042 tickets sold for one of the days, IIRC. Don't know the numbers for the other days, but the pressbox side was decent for an "off" year.

Comment

From the Indianapolis Star's David Woods:
          Thu 5,132
          Fri 5,266
          Sat 7,152
          Sun 6,316
          Total: 23,866

Not surprising that it's the lowest reported turnout since 2002. It's the lowest Saturday-Sunday turnout since 1982.

Comment

I believe attendance is normally highest on the last day. In Des Moines, the weather forecast could have lowered the Sunday attendance a bit.

Comment

And this at the home of the venerable Drake Relays, in a city mentioned as one possibly deserving of hosting an OT someday. A symptom of the state of T&F in the US, and another bit of evidence that says to me, Eugene Eugene Eugene.

Comment

As stated elsewhere, there was likely a lack of promotion and that will dampen attendance.

Weather could have negatively affected Sunday’s attendance, but Saturday’s could have been positively affected by the women’s 1500 matchup of two Iowa natives. That same pattern occurred in 2010 when Lolo Jones’ final was on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  And this at the home of the venerable Drake Relays, in a city mentioned as one possibly deserving of hosting an OT someday. A symptom of the state of T&F in the US, and another bit of evidence that says to me, Eugene Eugene Eugene.
                  It's important to remember that teh Drake Relays, like the Penn Relays, are more of a social phenomenon than a track meet. It has been historically rare for either of those sites to draw large crowds to something as mundane a a national championships or major invitational.

Comment

Even the Drake Relays don't get the crowds like they do....a friend of mine with a lot experience in the sport was flown out there for ideas for boosting attendance...

The place holds 14,500...it looked about 1/3 full so 5000 sounds right...

Don't know how much promotion has to do with attendance....unless the local paper completely ignored it....in Eugene they don't really promote events that heavily...people who are going to go just know....
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-28-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                      Exactly....the sport should be lucky there exists one spot in the country that consistently gets good crowds to watch something that doesn't involve friends and relatives....

Comment

I imagine the best realistic bet to increase attendance would be to really hit up the high school track and field community. Figure out how to engage with the coaches and get them to sell it to the athletes. Maybe a local elite stops by practice and gives out codes for discounted tickets? Use lots of social media promotion to that crowd.

USATF actually is fairly good with youth engagement for JOs and such, they should apply those skills toward promoting this meet instead of expecting the LOC to do most of the work.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

USATF actually is fairly good with youth engagement for JOs and such, they should apply those skills toward promoting this meet instead of expecting the LOC to do most of the work.
                          I think USATF had one or ore 'Run-Jump-Throw" events in Des Moines. That kind of stuff has to help, but it may be a long-term strategy to add fans needed to replace the aging ones as opposed to driving ticket sales at a particular event.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                            I imagine the best realistic bet to increase attendance would be to really hit up the high school track and field community. Figure out how to engage with the coaches and get them to sell it to the athletes. ....
                            When I was part of Stanford's LOC 20-odd years back when they hosted IAAF GP meet as well as couple of nationals, this was a tactic that was tried. As I recall, the big problem is who takes on the liability (and hassle) for having a passle of underage kids on a field trip that's not in any way an official school activity. Paticularly if school is out.

Comment

I was just talking today with a long time fan about attendance in Eugene and the lack of students at meets...and the biggest obstacle is the complete lack of dual meets which were very popular when I was an undergraduate...we have talked about this before since it is almost impossible with only 12 scholarships on the men's side...

The real problem is there are way too many events these days...it's like a life boat way too over crowded and will sink unless action is taken and yet the sport still acts like it is the 1960s...personally I would get rid of almost all of the field events...

Comment

Working...
                              X