Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accurate Attendance at USATF for each of the 4 days?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I don't think eliminating events would help, it would just reduce the fan base even more. If you have to do this then the sport is already a goner. It is hard to sell a national championship when so many of the stars don't even compete (Felix, Gatlin, etc.). T&F is already such a hard sell in terms of spectators that the biggest names holding out pushes it off the ledge. Times are a-changing. Baseball attendance way down, same with golf. Gotta get the youngsters interested. If the kids aren't interested, the ship is indeed a sinking one.

    Comment


    • #32
      Of course Hayward Field was not available this year, but is attendance frequently better there?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Dave View Post
        Of course Hayward Field was not available this year, but is attendance frequently better there?
        Uhhh yes. Significantly.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Dave View Post
          Of course Hayward Field was not available this year, but is attendance frequently better there?
          It would have likely been higher, but we don't know what it would have been in an "off" year, since Eugene has never hosted in one (2014 Sacramento, 2010 Des Moines, 2006 Indy, 2002 Stanford, 1998 New Orleans, 1994 Knoxville).

          Comment


          • #35
            An attendance of 5,000 doesn't sound that bad to me. Here in the UK, we don't have an 'off' year and I don't think our Trials get much more than that. Of course we have a smaller population than the US but our trials are held in Birmingham and the majority of the country's 65 million people live within 150 miles of the venue. I suspect a far smaller number live within 150 miles of Des Moines.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
              I suspect a far smaller number live within 150 miles of Des Moines.
              Just under 4 million, according to this neat tool:

              http://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

              Comment


              • #37
                great site! (that belongs on the Fun With Maps thread as well)

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by gm View Post
                  It would have likely been higher, but we don't know what it would have been in an "off" year, since Eugene has never hosted in one (2014 Sacramento, 2010 Des Moines, 2006 Indy, 2002 Stanford, 1998 New Orleans, 1994 Knoxville).
                  "Never," except for 1986, 1975, and 1971, that is. Weren't those "off" years? They were in terms of not being selection meets for Oly or WCh teams.
                  Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 07-01-2018, 05:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    no, the concept of off years doesn't come into play until the WC every 2 years are in place and the "amateur" handcuffs are taken off. In other words, the first one was '89, which led to the horror in Houston.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Wasn't it also the case that, back in the day, the US Olympic Trials and the US Champs were separate meets?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                        Wasn't it also the case that, back in the day, the US Olympic Trials and the US Champs were separate meets?
                        Yes. The first year that they were the same meet was 1992.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X