Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accurate Attendance at USATF for each of the 4 days?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    And this at the home of the venerable Drake Relays, in a city mentioned as one possibly deserving of hosting an OT someday. A symptom of the state of T&F in the US, and another bit of evidence that says to me, Eugene Eugene Eugene.
    Exactly....the sport should be lucky there exists one spot in the country that consistently gets good crowds to watch something that doesn't involve friends and relatives....

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Even the Drake Relays don't get the crowds like they do....a friend of mine with a lot experience in the sport was flown out there for ideas for boosting attendance...

The place holds 14,500...it looked about 1/3 full so 5000 sounds right...

Don't know how much promotion has to do with attendance....unless the local paper completely ignored it....in Eugene they don't really promote events that heavily...people who are going to go just know....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-28-2018, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    And this at the home of the venerable Drake Relays, in a city mentioned as one possibly deserving of hosting an OT someday. A symptom of the state of T&F in the US, and another bit of evidence that says to me, Eugene Eugene Eugene.
    It's important to remember that teh Drake Relays, like the Penn Relays, are more of a social phenomenon than a track meet. It has been historically rare for either of those sites to draw large crowds to something as mundane a a national championships or major invitational.

Leave a comment:

• AyZiggy
    replied
    As stated elsewhere, there was likely a lack of promotion and that will dampen attendance.

Weather could have negatively affected Sunday’s attendance, but Saturday’s could have been positively affected by the women’s 1500 matchup of two Iowa natives. That same pattern occurred in 2010 when Lolo Jones’ final was on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I believe attendance is normally highest on the last day. In Des Moines, the weather forecast could have lowered the Sunday attendance a bit.

Leave a comment:

• AyZiggy
    replied
    From the Indianapolis Star's David Woods:
    Thu 5,132
    Fri 5,266
    Sat 7,152
    Sun 6,316
    Total: 23,866

Not surprising that it's the lowest reported turnout since 2002. It's the lowest Saturday-Sunday turnout since 1982.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    There were 3,042 tickets sold for one of the days, IIRC. Don't know the numbers for the other days, but the pressbox side was decent for an "off" year.

Leave a comment:

• americantrackfan
    replied
    about 10

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    The temperatures may have been higher than the attendance.

Leave a comment:

• CMVYV
    started a topic Accurate Attendance at USATF for each of the 4 days?

Accurate Attendance at USATF for each of the 4 days?

Unable to locate any attendance figures for the DesMoines USATF Championships.

Checked the latest 2 issues of Track Newsletter ... not reported, nor were temps.
Working...
X