Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was cynical in advance but having attended in person on Saturday I really enjoyed the meet and think it has great potential

The late announcement and clash with Rabat was far from ideal but there were still some very top quality athletes and a number of intriguing head-to-heads (eg Murphy vs Kszchot).

There will only be a window of about 4 weeks for athletics in London (outside a major champs) but, especially with the late WC next year a better place in the calendar should be possible. The fact the US will always win is the only real long term problem I can see.

Critically though 30,000 people were there on Saturday and 25,000 on Sunday with Sky coverage pulling in some different casual fans on TV in the UK. The vast majority of attendees were casual fans with a huge number of families present (I suspect the DL will have relatively different crowd there). This crowd was engaged throughout (including a first hour with no track) and both on the day and subsequently I’ve had a number of people telling me how much they enjoyed their first athletics meet.

Whilst it might not be the event for athletics/marks purists, it’s up there with the best attended meets of the year (suspect only Berlin will significantly surpass it) and shows the sport can appeal to a new market without being overly gimmicky or relying on Bolt (looking at you Nitro athletics)

Comment

• story on home page (with the usual grains of salt reserved for the Daily Mail) says the financial losses were rather substantial

Comment

• Who could have predicted that would have been a disaster...

Comment

• Keep in mind this was the first edition. Very few operations generate profit in the startup phase. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not viable in the longer run.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• If there is a second I'd be amazed.....

Comment

Working...
            X