Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German champs a week later, Berlin 2018 the only focus. Nobody in Germany gives a shit about the world cup when there are more important events coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
      German champs a week later, Berlin 2018 the only focus. Nobody in Germany gives a shit about the world cup when there are more important events coming up.
      Well, that answers that. I'm guessing most Euro nations feel the same way. I'm just hoping it is a sorta-DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Do we pin that on Germany or the IAAF or just a non-global-championship year?
        What does the IAAF have to do with it? It's not an official championship meet.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
          What does the IAAF have to do with it? It's not an official championship meet.
          Did they not sanction it? With a name like 'Athletics World Cup', it had to be something they had some skin in, yes/no?

Comment

Sebastian Coe did hail it as an innovative event: “This is one of the exciting innovative events we are seeing in our sport and our thanks go to British Athletics and the Mayor of London for creating it and hosting it. We have 8 lanes, 8 top nations, 8 teams and a host of world class athletes lining up in each event to win the trophy and prize pot. This will be a fast-paced and exhilarating experience for athletes and fans.”

Anyone remember the Nitro thing in Australia. That was also innovative according to Coe. It seems his approval is almost as good as a stake through the heart.

Comment

Did they not sanction it? With a name like 'Athletics World Cup', it had to be something they had some skin in, yes/no?
              Nope. None of the words in that name is copyrighted. It's not the IAAF World Cup (which was the event replaced by the Continental Cup since 2010).

Comment

Nope. None of the words in that name is copyrighted. It's not the IAAF World Cup (which was the event replaced by the Continental Cup since 2010).
                The continental cup serves no value at all, frankly it is totally contrived and stupid. the athletics W Cup is a better idea but perhaps there are way too many competitions already. Especially with the season ending very late next year.

Comment

given the international nature of the competition, I'm sure the IAAF had to "sanction" the meet (see Rule 1 and all its clauses). That doesn't mean, however, that they have anything to do with the meet and "officially" they don't.

Would I be surprised to learn that they had some skin in the game (with the intent of improving the sport's overall product)? Nah.

Comment

The name of the event that was replaced by the Continental Cup was the IAAF World Cup in Athletics.

Comment

Continental Cup is ridiculous. What is the point of a four team competition? The old 8 team competition was a billion times better. Also had some really great great relays. Now we have boring non competitive 4 team relays.

Comment

Originally posted by etuoyo View Post
                        Continental Cup is ridiculous. What is the point of a four team competition? The old 8 team competition was a billion times better. Also had some really great great relays. Now we have boring non competitive 4 team relays.
                        Can we just go back to the WAF - World Athletic Finals, that the DL led up to? I realize it died because it came at the end of an exhausting season and the athletes were well past their peak, but it was great idea; they just have to find a better way to schedule it.

Comment

Can we just go back to the WAF - World Athletic Finals, that the DL led up to? I realize it died because it came at the end of an exhausting season and the athletes were well past their peak, but it was great idea; they just have to find a better way to schedule it.
                          Assuming you mean the Golden League not the Diamond League in regard to the WAF.

Sue me about wikipedia not bein reliable, but this is what I got from there:

"While the event is organised outside of the official IAAF structures, the IAAF has expressed support for the event notwithstanding the existence of its own IAAF Continental Cup event."

Comment

IAAF expressing support basically means Seb Coe publically said the competition was a good idea. This doesn't make it an IAAF event. The support they're talking about isn't financial or organizational, only moral.
                            Last edited by Powell; 07-06-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Some of y'all are right stick-in-the-muds

The sad fact of the matter is, athletics does need to do something to gain more fans and keep the sport going. Yes, some of these 'innovative' events are naff, but it's going in the right direction, and team competitions are always generally well received. The World Relay was a fun event....while it lasted. However we are a bit inundated now with too many Cups/Champs, and that needs a rethink for sure.

Now, innovations like reducing number of throws/jumps are certainly NOT a good idea in my book, especially when countries like Germany, which has a fairly solid and knowledgeable fan base compared to many nations, are strong in those events. If the powers that be want to make things more fun for fans who attend the meets, there are lots of things you can do without messing with the events; music in between events, mascots we have seen can be great, better food stalls supporting the meet, musicians whatever.

I used to love the old Grand Prix circuit, I used to love that the big meets were Zurich, Brussels, Oslo, Berlin, in the peak of the summer. I didn't like the extension of the circuit to May, it just seemed too early. However, even though the long circuit has somewhat watered down the big European meets, I accept that it was important to have some big meets worldwide and not be so Euro Focussed. So Doha, Shanghai, Eugene: you're welcome, and I accept thee.

Anyway, I bet those who can will be watching this event :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post

The sad fact of the matter is, athletics does need to do something to gain more fans and keep the sport going.
                                The problem is, every moron with a "good" idea seems to be allowed to turn it into an innovative meet nowadays and we end up with a circus.
                                What the sport needs is availability. You mentiioned Germany, yesterday the Lausanne DL meet was not available anywhere in Germany, Eurosport didn't broadcast or stream it, neither did anyone else. You're not going to attract new fans if people can't watch. Too much athletics is either not available at all or hidden behind geoblocks or paywalls. It needs to be readily and easily available, that is the first step to attracting new fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X