Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post

Anyway, I bet those who can will be watching this event :-)
    I'll actually be there. (No smiley.)

Will it be the best meet I've seen this year? I very much doubt it. But I'm eager to see how this format works, and how it feels in the stadium. We know from last year's World Championships that the Brits can be innovative about event presentation and spectator involvement. Despite the absence of some of the biggest names, I expect it to be an enjoyable meet.

Comment

"The sad fact of the matter is, athletics does need to do something to gain more fans and keep the sport going. Yes, some of these 'innovative' events are naff, but it's going in the right direction, and team competitions are always generally well received. The World Relay was a fun event....while it lasted. However we are a bit inundated now with too many Cups/Champs, and that needs a rethink for sure."

Other than Britain, these days, no one cares much at all about team competitions in track...even there I doubt it is that big of a deal...

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
        The problem is, every moron with a "good" idea seems to be allowed to turn it into an innovative meet nowadays and we end up with a circus.
        What the sport needs is availability. You mentiioned Germany, yesterday the Lausanne DL meet was not available anywhere in Germany, Eurosport didn't broadcast or stream it, neither did anyone else. You're not going to attract new fans if people can't watch. Too much athletics is either not available at all or hidden behind geoblocks or paywalls. It needs to be readily and easily available, that is the first step to attracting new fans.
        well one could start with the US where money is king. every time I try to watch on letsrun, for example, I get the usual" you can't watch this in your country.". sorry !!!

Comment

I wonder how much Sunday's attendance just went up?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
            The problem is, every moron with a "good" idea seems to be allowed to turn it into an innovative meet nowadays and we end up with a circus.
            What the sport needs is availability. You mentiioned Germany, yesterday the Lausanne DL meet was not available anywhere in Germany, Eurosport didn't broadcast or stream it, neither did anyone else. You're not going to attract new fans if people can't watch. Too much athletics is either not available at all or hidden behind geoblocks or paywalls. It needs to be readily and easily available, that is the first step to attracting new fans.
            I second that.
            Apparently this "Athletics World Cup" won't be on TV in many European countries. Germany included.

Comment

It will be shown live from beginning to end over here.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Here we go again: Only four attempts for the field events. They will keep messing with the field events until they can justify getting rid of them altogether.
                This competition is dead to me.

Comment

It's on live on NBCSp today, but I've got something more important to attend to, a 6-year-old's birthday party! I'll watch it on DVR later.

Of 'interest' today

wPV - Bradshaw, Nag, the French woman.
                  wHT - Wlod, Price
                  mTJ - Scott, Dong
                  mSP - Hill, Richards, Hartyk
                  w400 - J Russell
                  mDT - Dacres, Mal, Jager (225' this year!)
                  w400 - Okolo, McPher
                  m200 - Adams, Webb, Xie
                  110H - Levy, Allen, Pozzi, M-Lagarde
                  mHJ - Wang, Robinson
                  wLJ - Ugen
                  w15 - Ennaoui
                  m8 - Kszcqxyzott, Murphy
                  wJT - Lyu
                  w100 - ET, Hend
                  w4x4 - JVs
                  m4x1 - JVs

Comment

Wlodarczyk with a fabulous 78.74 to win. She appears to be back at full speed.

Comment

Showing way too much women's pole vault on Gold.

And also way too many extended crowd shots.

One shot put shown so far. A couple triple jumps.
                      Last edited by gm; 07-14-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                        Showing way too much women's pole vault on Gold.

And also way too many extended crowd shots.

One shot put shown so far. A couple triple jumps.
                        Speaking of the TJ, is Karol Hoffman Zdzislaw Hoffman's son? Zdzislaw is the one who upset Willie Banks at the first World Champs in 1983.

Comment

Watching now...great day for sport today...The useless 3rd place game between England and Belgium...and now this....hard to believe the old World Cups were actually entertaining and a big deal.
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-14-2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Okolo seems to be a mystery in the open 400 since leaving Texas. She hasn't come remotely close to her form back in NCAAs. I would question injury, but she has contributed amazing relay legs and the indoor win this year.

Comment

Thus far a few decent performances but overall seems a low quality competition with a lot of half hearted efforts (ex okolo running over 52 and bin dong jumping less than 16 meters). I can’t believe nbcsn is showing the entire thing live instead of a recap.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                                Speaking of the TJ, is Karol Hoffman Zdzislaw Hoffman's son? Zdzislaw is the one who upset Willie Banks at the first World Champs in 1983.
                                Yes, he is.
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X