Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What events interest you most in upcoming European Champs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What events interest you most in upcoming European Champs?

I guess the European action tapers off quite a bit now, until the championships commence in Berlin August 7.

What EC events and athletes are you most interested in? I guess for me, off the top of my head, it would be:

* The men's javelin, with the 3 great Germans and other medal hopefuls

* British sprinters, especially if they can beat the m4x1 NR they came close to the other day

* Ingebrigtsen brothers in m1500

* Shubenkov in the m110H

* Lysenko in mHJ

* Mondo in mPV

* Lasitskene in wHJ

How about you?

Decathlon, Mayer seems to be in world record shape.

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
      I guess the European action tapers off quite a bit now, until the championships commence in Berlin August 7.

What EC events and athletes are you most interested in? I guess for me, off the top of my head, it would be:

* The men's javelin, with the 3 great Germans and other medal hopefuls

* British sprinters, especially if they can beat the m4x1 NR they came close to the other day

* Ingebrigtsen brothers in m1500

* Shubenkov in the m110H

* Lysenko in mHJ

* Mondo in mPV

* Lasitskene in wHJ

How about you?
      All good choices.

Add
      Guliyev
      O Ortega (I thought he's be faster this year)
      Warholm
      LaVill
      Pichardo
      mSP! Pole - Czech - German
      Gudzius vs. Stahl
      Mayer vs. Uibo.

Asher-Smith vs. Schippers
      Muir - Hassan
      Talay vs. the Germans
      Stef vs. Sidorova
      Spanovic vs. Ugen vs. Mihambo vs. Proctor
      Thiam!

Comment

Is Pichardo eligible to represent Portugal?

Comment

Originally posted by Pakilo View Post
          Is Pichardo eligible to represent Portugal?
          Good call. From his IAAF profile:

ELIGIBILITY
          CUB until 23 Nov 2017 – currently not eligible to represent POR in competitions under IAAF Rule 1.1 (a), (b), (c), (f) and (g)

Comment

Lysenko - He's the threat to Barshim internationally. Looks very special.

Men 800 - Kszczot going for the treble. Race looks incredibly open.

Ugen vs Proctor vs Spanovic - They look a cut above for me and the most likely ladies over 7m.

Men Javelin - Not just for the Germans. 31 Europeans over 80m this year and 9 over 85m. The event is booming.

Young GBR sprinters: While Asher-Smith may headline, there is a lot more to be excited about.

Comment

I hope 400m will be as hot as 8 years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D4zf9j0h_0

Comment

Originally posted by Dee95 View Post

Ugen vs Proctor vs Spanovic - They look a cut above for me and the most likely ladies over 7m.
                Malaika Mihambo ahead of Spanovic twice this year at DL meets and she also beat both British women in Lausanne, but not even worth a mention?

Comment

Agree with all of the above!
                  On the negative side---
                  the distances don't look so good this year!
                  Klosterhalfen far from her top shape!
                  No men in the 5 or 10 to speak of!

There's Gesa Krause in the SC!
                  Muir vs Hassan in what?----both 1500 & 5000?

But otherwise, this could be one of the best Euros ever!!

ADD:
                  Haven't seen the schedule yet!
                  Which events are in there?
                  Both 5 & 10 for Women, or do they run the 3000 instead of the 5000?
                  Marathons?
                  If so, will it follow the Berlin Marathon course?

Walks?
                  Both 20 & 50K?
                  Both men & women?
                  Last edited by aaronk; 07-24-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Muir vs Hassan not happening, Muir selected for the 1500, Hassan 5000.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                      Malaika Mihambo ahead of Spanovic twice this year at DL meets and she also beat both British women in Lausanne, but not even worth a mention?
                      I am not sure I see a 7m jump on her personally. Her 6.99 was in May, and she only has two competitions over 6.80 since then. In each of those competitions she wasnt exactly consistently jumping 6.80+ either. Ugen had 2 minor fouls over 7m last weekend, and a legal 7m a few weeks ago. Proctor had five 6.80+ jumps in London. Spanovic tends to peak very well, and I expect her to do so again on Berlin.

Mihambo could well uncork a big one - It would be great for the champs if she does; I just don't she her as good as the other ladies I mentioned. Of course, youre right though, she warrants at least a mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee95 View Post
                        I am not sure I see a 7m jump on her personally. Her 6.99 was in May, and she only has two competitions over 6.80 since then.
                        There is another way of looking at this: The German championships were her first competition since May where she didn't jump 6.80. Both perspectives leave out the fact that she only had four competitions altogether this outdoor season. But there are many other ways to look at the LJ: Proctor hasn't jumped over 6.80 outside of the UK since April, Ugen jumper over 6.80 outside the UK once all year long. Both seem to be much better when jumping at home.
                        Spanovic has been in two DL competitions and lost both. You can make a case for or against each of these four women, being German i am hoping for a big jump from Mihambo in the last round, that's what she usually does.
                        One final note on Mihambo: On her 6.99 in Weinheim she was 10cm off the board, she has a big 7m jump in her.
                        Last edited by norunner; 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                          There is another way of looking at this: The German championships were her first competition since May where she didn't jump 6.80. Both perspectives leave out the fact that she only had four competitions altogether this outdoor season. But there are many other ways to look at the LJ: Proctor hasn't jumped over 6.80 outside of the UK since April, Ugen jumper over 6.80 outside the UK once all year long. Both seem to be much better when jumping at home.
                          Spanovic has been in two DL competitions and lost both. You can make a case for or against each of these four women, being German i am hoping for a big jump from Mihambo in the last round, that's what she usually does.
                          One final note on Mihambo: On her 6.99 in Weinheim she was 10cm off the board, she has a big 7m jump in her.
                          All fair perspectives. I am not sure we can say Ugen jumps better "at home" - She is an NCAA champ, Indoor Worlds medallist (in USA) and European Indoor medallist (Belgrade). Of her best 5 jumps in 2017, only one was achieved at home. Only 1 of her best 10 were achieved at home in 2016. Indications are actually that she jumps better abroad. She is a solid favourite for me - She had two big fouls on the weekend. 7.10+ with only a few cms over the board. Suggests it wont take one "big one" for her to jump 7m - That actually looks like her range right now. As for Proctor, the last time her best jump was set "at home" was in 2014. Both had injury problems early season and look to be coming into shape at the right time.

As I said, it would be nice for Mihambo to jump big - Germany havent had much luck this year with injury seemingly destroying your sprinters, so best of luck to her - I just personally see three better jumpers.

Comment

OK!
                            Found the schedule, and saw there IS a Marathon, 5 & 10K for both sexes, and a 20 & 50K Walk for both sexes!!
                            GREAT!!

Will the Marathon be on the Berlin Marathon course----or has it been changed for the Euros?

Will Mo Farah be running?
                            Haven't seen anything about him being at the Euros!

Will Ines Henriques be in the Women's 50K Walk?

Will Konstanze Klosterhalfen be doubling (1500 & 5000?)----and do German experts here believe she'll be ready for sub-4 & sub-15?

Also, can't wait to see the "new" rivalry between Lasitskene and Vallartigara in the HJ!!

Will Lea Sprunger be in the 400 and 400H, or just one event?
                            (Besides the 4X400, that is!)

Men's PV will have two-thirds of 2018's Top Trio of Mondo, Lavillenie, and Kendricks---the latter excluded only because he's not European!!

Also can't wait to see what the Ingebrigtsens will do!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                              Will the Marathon be on the Berlin Marathon course----or has it been changed for the Euros?
                              Looped course.

https://www.berlin2018.info/en/timetable/marathon/

Comment

Working...
                              X