Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not track, but chusovitina just won a silver medal in gymnastics (vault) at the asian games representing uzbekistan. she has previously represented the soviet union, unified team, germany, and uzbek. at least twice. it’s incredible where her career has taken her, and at 43, she is aiming for her 8th olympics in 2020!!!!!! she represented germany not for money or anything like that, but because germany saved her son’s life when he had cancer, and the family lived there anyway so why not.

Comment

• Have there been any other gymnasts competing at top international level in their 40s in modern times?
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• My thinking on this one has changed over the last 15 years or so. I was once an adamant "one-man-one-country" type, Im now of the mindset that the athlete should get maximal deference so long as the inviting country is willing. The thing that changed it for me was the basic idea echoed loud and clear here by others: "a man has to eat" !

I look back and think of the lost chance at gold for Kipketer in 1996, that had to hurt. But I also realize that Danish immigration/citizenship law was nothing like Qatar or Turkey.
        Last edited by user4; 08-29-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
          There was also Tatiana Polnova, who returned to Russia after representing Turkey for a while (under the moniker Tuna Kostem).
          Quite a few Russian and East European athletes switched to Turkey and then reverted to their old countries, usually on marrying someone from the old country (Polnova (nee Zaykova, then Kostem) and Oksana Andrusina-Mert-Tuchak being two of the most famous cases), or in the case of Nora Ivanova-Guner-Edletzberger, switched to a third country altogether (Austria in her case - she was originally Bulgarian).

Comment

• Originally posted by uakari View Post
            not track, but chusovitina just won a silver medal in gymnastics (vault) at the asian games representing uzbekistan. she has previously represented the soviet union, unified team, germany, and uzbek. at least twice. it’s incredible where her career has taken her, and at 43, she is aiming for her 8th olympics in 2020!!!!!! she represented germany not for money or anything like that, but because germany saved her son’s life when he had cancer, and the family lived there anyway so why not.
            My recollection is that she was offered the opportunity to represent Germany, and health care was part of the deal. I also think that she eventually switched "back", as related here.

Comment

• I pull for my home individual/school/country team but, like user4, I believe an individual should be able to work/compete anywhere they can make a living.
              Athletic achievement glory really goes to the individual, not their political affilation.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                Athletic achievement glory really goes to the individual, not their political affilation.
                Hear, hear!!
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

• Becky Hammon competed for Russia in the 2012 Olympics. A story for which the details are regularly available online.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    My recollection is that she was offered the opportunity to represent Germany, and health care was part of the deal. I also think that she eventually switched "back", as related here.
                    i don't know all the details about her life, i remember watching a segment on tv that talked about her switch to germany and my impression was that she did it out of gratitude for the germans offering life-saving treatment to her son.

i'm guessing she has switched back to uzbekistan (after many years representing germany) possibly because the german federation might consider her too old and they'd rather focus on younger gymnasts? it's just my speculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
                      Have there been any other gymnasts competing at top international level in their 40s in modern times?
                      as some news items noted, the gold and bronze medalists in jakarta last week were younger than her son!!!!!

Comment

• Rai Benjamin can now compete for the United States.

https://twitter.com/_Kingben_/status...01174555262976

Comment

• Originally posted by bhall View Post
                          Rai Benjamin can now compete for the United States.

https://twitter.com/_Kingben_/status...01174555262976
                          USA now favored to win gold at 2019 WC's in m100, m200, m400 (Norman, my pick), m400h (my pick Benjamin over anyone else) 4x1 and 4x4...good start!

Comment

• Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
                            USA now favored to win gold at 2019 WC's in m100, m200, m400 (Norman, my pick), m400h (my pick Benjamin over anyone else) 4x1 and 4x4...good start!
                            Well, have you heard of the old expression, "don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch"? I hope what you said comes to pass, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Comment

• Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
                              USA now favored to win gold at 2019 WC's in, m400h (my pick Benjamin over anyone else)
                              I can't pick Benjamin over Samba unil he gets a bit more consistent under 48. But I'm more than excited that we will finally (hopefully) see Samba, Warholm, McMaster and Benjamin in a race.

Comment

• Worlds in Doha will be superb next year. Track is very fast (look at the times which are usually run in early May, in the sprints are often close to the world's fastest times) and with that new air-conditioning system that will make the temperature remain in the 24-26 degrees (celsius) range.. the WR could go down with these guys in peak shape. And we are probabily going to see 9.7s and 10.7s in the sprints or a 19.3 by Lyles or other exciting results.

Comment

Working...
                                X