X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crymeariver
    replied
    Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I don't think there should be a hard and fast rule on this. I think it should be a subjective test. Certain national transfers (Lagat, etc.) pass the smell test. Others, mostly involving athletes from Africa transferring to a small collection of petrostates do not.

If an athlete is a citizen of a country, pays taxes in that country, and lives primarily in that country, the presumption should be in favor of allowing them to compete for that country.
    There should be a very hard and very fast rule. What you're proposing just lends a hand to the racism, xenophobia, and islamophobia that has gripped the "need" for the new policy.

Here's a non-comprehensive list of transfers and I think it shows that the "petrostates" are not the only practitioners; and that European and North American countries may have an upper hand versus the "petrostates" in terms of medals won at WC and Olympics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_athletics

Leave a comment:

• Merner521
    replied
    Why don't they let ineligible (for championships) athletes compete as ANA during their waiting period?

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Didn't Wilson Kipketer win '95 WC gold for Denmark before he was a naturalized citizen; IAAF said he was OK, but next year IOC said he couldn't run OG because he wasn't a citizen?
    That's right. And the same thing happened with Niurka Montalvo 4 years later. World champion in 1999 for Spain, wasn't cleared to compete in the 2000 OG.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Did Turkey take out a bunch of front-page ads all around the world once they heard this news?

Leave a comment:

• JumboElliott
    replied
    I don't think there should be a hard and fast rule on this. I think it should be a subjective test. Certain national transfers (Lagat, etc.) pass the smell test. Others, mostly involving athletes from Africa transferring to a small collection of petrostates do not.

If an athlete is a citizen of a country, pays taxes in that country, and lives primarily in that country, the presumption should be in favor of allowing them to compete for that country.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by norunner View Post
    That can't be the criteria anyway, otherwise an athlete who never represented his country could switch to a new one immediately. When did he get his Portuguese passport? Can't apply to represent Portugal unless you are actually Portuguese.
    Didn't Wilson Kipketer win '95 WC gold for Denmark before he was a naturalized citizen; IAAF said he was OK, but next year IOC said he couldn't run OG because he wasn't a citizen?

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by AS View Post
    Given Pichardo competed for Cuba on 27 Aug 2015, why would he be eligible for Portugal next week? That's not 3 years...
    He was also on the 2016 Olympic team, although he ended up with a DNS. I'm not sure whether that counts as representing Cuba for eligibility purposes or not.

Leave a comment:

• norunner
    replied
    Originally posted by AS View Post
    Given Pichardo competed for Cuba on 27 Aug 2015, why would he be eligible for Portugal next week? That's not 3 years...
    That can't be the criteria anyway, otherwise an athlete who never represented his country could switch to a new one immediately. When did he get his Portuguese passport? Can't apply to represent Portugal unless you are actually Portuguese.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego View Post
    He is pickable on the Ronald's Athletic prediction contest. Let's see.
    The lists on Atstat are just copied from EAA.

I think there was a case a while ago when someone won at Euro Indoors and was later deemed ineligible and stripped of the medal. Can't remember who it was now.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    If Google is translating this article right, Pichardo will probably not be eligible to represent Portugal at the Euros, Portugal just entered him in case he is cleared to compete.
    He is pickable on the Ronald's Athletic prediction contest. Let's see.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    "If it can be documented..."? Why should a tribunal be responsible for deciding who has a legitimate reason to represent countries other than their birth nation? To me that's an extremely arrogant point of view.
    Is the restriction on representing any country other than the nationality at birth, or a country other than the one you already represented?

Allowing athletes to transfer allegiance for any reason (as long as that athlete has the full benefits of actual citizenship from the receiving country) doesn't bother me one bit.
    Allowing transfers at any time for any reason any number of times results in the athletes NOT getting full benefits of actual citizenship.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 07-31-2018, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    If Google is translating this article right, Pichardo will probably not be eligible to represent Portugal at the Euros, Portugal just entered him in case he is cleared to compete.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by norunner View Post
    Does it specify in any way what exactly is deemed an exceptional circumstance?
    The number of zeros on the check to the IAAF official.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by jupo View Post
    So apparently Pichardo is eligible to represent POR in Euro's.
    Left hand isn't telling right hand. This is in his IAAF profile:

ELIGIBILITY
    CUB until 23 Nov 2017 – currently not eligible to represent POR in competitions under IAAF Rule 1.1 (a), (b), (c), (f) and (g)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X