• Show
Clear All

• Best Long-term Career

So long term, who will have the greatest career:

Mondo
    Sydney McLaughlin
    Jakob Ingebrigtsen

???

So far it is Mondo. He is younger than Syd and has more to show in his event (WL, second-highest outdoor mark ever to the GOAT, highest mark in a championship meet, retired when it looked like he could have gone higher, possibly even WR). However Syd might be ranked first and Mondo will not be.

JI is quite good for his age but won a distance title with almost all the major players not in the meet and is not remotely close to 2nd best all time. He is stunningly good for his age, although some very young runners have done great things (e.g., the marathon GOAT).

Comment

Probably Mondo but that has more to do with the nature of his event...unless JI moves up to the marathon...

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
        So long term, who will have the greatest career:
        Mondo
        Sydney McLaughlin
        Jakob Ingebrigtsen
        ???
        I vote all three. What a great future.

Comment

I also vote for Mondo, though I won't be amazed if it's McLaughlin. I will be surprised if it's Ingebrigtsen; he looks too much like the second coming of Jim Ryun.

Comment

I agree it looks like Jakob is too good too young. I wish him all the best, but I'll be surprised if he lasts until his late 20s.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
              I also vote for Mondo, though I won't be amazed if it's McLaughlin. I will be surprised if it's Ingebrigtsen; he looks too much like the second coming of Jim Ryun.
              Second coming of Jim Ryun is not a bad thing to be

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                I will be surprised if it's Ingebrigtsen; he looks too much like the second coming of Jim Ryun.
                I think he is an upgraded version of Galen Rupp.

Comment

It's possible that Mondo could end up so dominant that he gets bored from lack of competition.

Comment

I’d argue for McLaughlin, largely based on the multitude of events she is likely to thrive in. Her 400h time is already one of the best, not the second best ever, but the WL. If we stipulate that she gets that WR at some point, and that she has success at a high level in the 400, possibly in other individual events and in relays, I think you can argue for a superior career than the single-event Mondo.

Comment

IMO, it's between Mondo and McLaughlin, since I would be shocked if both of them aren't world record holder within the next couple of years but I doubt that Ingebrigtsen will run sub-3:26 any time soon. Also, I think the 3 months age difference between Mondo and McLaughlin is insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

Comment

For a little context, I do not think that JI is all that close to 3:27.50/3:43.96 (And it certainly looked like 6.10 was feasible (26:26.60/3:42.99) while 6.17 might have been a miracle yesterday (3:25.23/3:41.51)

6.05 - 2.41, 8.66, 18.09 22.67 71.96 85.61 92.58 8991 1281
                        1281 9.78 12.86 19.62 30.74 43.57 47.06 37.30 1:18.39 2:54.35
                        1281 1:11.91 1:41.56 2:10.78 3:27.50 3:43.96 4:45.64
                        1281 5:06.13 7:23.54 7:55.20 7:57.92 12:40.93 26:26.46
                        26:32 57:56 2:03:30
                        As for Syd, while the men/women concordance is even more questionable than across men's events), 48.16/51.62 for Mondo's 6.05, and 6.17 is: 10.49[!], 47.37/50.37

Comment

The thing that impresses me the most about Mondo is how consistent he is in an event that does that does not lend itself to consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            I think he is an upgraded version of Galen Rupp.
                            Another question: will JI break WR at 1500m and/or mile? And, will he be #1 in world when he does it? I say yes and no.

Comment

Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
                              Another question: will JI break WR at 1500m and/or mile? And, will he be #1 in world when he does it? I say yes and no.
                              Running 3:43 or 3:25?? .... which is miles ahead of anyone else is doing now.... The answer is obvious...who possibly would be ranked ahead of him...

Comment

Working...
                              X