Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental Cup 2018

I'm guessing that separate threads will develop on the events, but looking at the event entries here,

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competiti...30cd60bdd6.pdf

I am struck by the apprehension that some 'stars' will be competing well after there 'use by' date and will make the competition hard to pre-judge. I'm not expecting any big upsets, but I sure think there will be some major surprises on how poorly some big names will perform.

Niyonsaba indicated she is done for the season, so assuming there will be a replacement in the 800m.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTv4suF...aken-by=niyo93

Comment

Probably Alemu.

Comment

Niyonsaba apparently had some minor injury in Zurich, which probably would explain her 6th place finish.

Comment

Silva and McCartney seem unlikely to compete in the pole vault, both have heel injuries and pulled out of the DL final.

Comment

What was wrong with this thread (Cont Cup teams), which you also started?

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
              What was wrong with this thread (Cont Cup teams), which you also started?
              That was about the composition of teams; this was supposed to be about the meet in general.
              Individuals may start event threads as desired, I presume.
              Last edited by Atticus; 09-05-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I'm not expecting any big upsets, but I sure think there will be some major surprises on how poorly some big names will perform.
                With the format of the field events, those may produce some very random results.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                  With the format of the field events, those may produce some very random results.
                  What is the format(s) you speak of?

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
                    What is the format(s) you speak of?
                    Already discussed in the "Cont Cup teams" thread...

Comment

That format (which is horrendous) is going to be a stat-maven's nightmare. The winning LJ may be 7.95, but the 4th placer may have a wind-legal 8.50.
                      Or someone is having a stellar series in the JT and suddenly be out. I hate it already and it hasn't even happened yet!!
                      I think T&FN should ignore this aberration and report the results as per the 'rational' outcome.

Comment

In addition to the absurdity of deciding the competitions on single attempts, what I hate is that only one athlete from each team will make the cut after round 3. That means in essence in the first 3 rounds you're only competing against your teammate, since it doesn't matter one bit how well you do vis-a-vis everyone else (the order of the final rounds is predetermined). How does that fit with the spirit of team competition?
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

In terms of competitions for rating purposes, the field format should basically lead to ignoring the official 'placing'. Possibly using a normal assessment is the right way to do this, but even that is not the same, as an athlete is not trying to do what they normally do (e.g., extreme focus on not fouling/getting a legal attempt in the final rounds).

Comment

In addition to the absurdity of deciding the competitions on single attempts, what I hate is that only one athlete from each team will make the cut after round 3. That means in essence in the first 3 rounds you're only competing against your teammate, since it doesn't matter one bit how well you do vis-a-vis everyone else (the order of the final rounds is predetermined). How does that fit with the spirit of team competition?
                            Really....I like that....that's where the real cut throat competition is anyways...fighting for team spots...etc....the Trials are so great because it's everyone for themselves....screw this USA team shit.

In cross country I was always trying to beat the other teams...but see a teammate try to pass me...oh dear I can't let that guy beat me!

I knew a pair of twin sisters, whom I won't name, and their biggest rival, by far, especially for one of them, was their sibling...
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I have to admit that the more I hear about this meet the more I like it...

When is it on?

Comment

Working...
                              X