X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuohy 9/21

http://files.milesplit.us/live_resul...905/index.html
    In Girls Championship race #15:
    An in-shape Tuohy set course rec by about 90 secs. (16:06 ) while besting all other male times on the day with one exception (15:48).

The course is certified and relatively flat. Since none of the other boys broke 16 minutes it can't be considered a fast course. KT is good (but you knew that).
    Last edited by Adam$; 09-22-2018, 07:02 PM.

From Letsrun...

Just to put this into perspective, she would have gotten 2nd in the guys championship race. She ran 16:06. 2nd guy ran 16:07 and his prs are 1:55 for the 800 and 4:13 for the full mile( as well as 15:39 5K XC.). Third place guy ran 16:08 and he’s run 9:22 for the 3200 on the track. The guy who won is a 4:08/8:56 guy and he only ran 17 seconds better( 15:49). Apparently, she wasn’t running all out either. She is probably in sub 9:30 shape for 3200 right now based on that and that is a minimum guess. I can’t believe what I’m seeing here....

Comment

Yikes!

I really hope so IS holding back, so she doesn't run herself into an injury. She must be a finely tuned engine running at high RPMs.

I don't want to make predictions (just say NO, Aaron!), but she sure seems en route to some special things.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        From Letsrun...
        Apparently, she wasn’t running all out either.....
        To clarify, the story about the meet says the opposite of what this LR post says about the effort and pacing.
        http://ny.milesplit.com/articles/248...-course-record
        In the past, many early season meets were used as workouts, however, this was an all-out effort, one of a select few
        No less amazing, of course.

Comment

Quite a performance.

Margin of victory ~2 minutes, 15 sec., among other impressive details.

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

I believe the previous CR was 17:35, by Kelsey Chmiel -- herself a 10:02 2-miler.

This comment about speed ratings basically calls it the 3rd-best performance ever.

"The performance is nothing short of incredible. The highest rated performance by Speed Rating was Amber Trotter's Foot Locker win in 2001 at an even 180. Tuohy was rated today at a 175.71. It's the third fastest Speed Rating ever recorded. The other two serve as the course records for both Foot Locker locations (Trotter's 180 was at Orlando, while Melody Fairchild's Balboa Course Record was rated at 177.9)"

While I'm sure there's subjectivity there and possibly performances left out, it's fair to say it belongs in the small handful of greatest girls XC performances ever. Given her 3k, 3200 and 5000m(i) track performances, we shouldn't be surprised -- but still damn impressive and not hard to imagine she'll continue to set all-time standards for greatness.
              Last edited by steveu; 09-23-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

All you need do is watch her 15:37 race again!
                She passed 1 mile (actually 1600) in 4:54.
                She hit 3200 in 9:54.28---so her 2nd 1600 was 5:00.

Her last 1600 was 5:06----then she finished with a 37 final 200!

SOLO---although she had to pass several runners---several times!

The announcers said she was on pace for 15:22 through 3000!

You tell me what her potential is!!
                LOL

Oh yeah, the announcers also raved about her powerful, yet fluid, motion!!

She's a rare bird, indeed!!

But you know what I REALLY love about her??
                She loves running FAST---for TIME---for RECORDS!!

Wish some ADULTS had the same attitude!!
                Last edited by aaronk; 09-24-2018, 12:28 AM.

Comment

At that level there is not really any other competition most of the time. Not sure she would run for time at World Juniors except that she would likely be chasing some Kenyan and Ethiopian gals.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                    But you know what I REALLY love about her??
                    She loves running FAST---for TIME---for RECORDS!!
                    A recipe for possible disaster for someone as young as she.

I hope she
                    a. skips some meets
                    b. phones in acoupla races
                    c. Arrives at the post-season hungry and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      A recipe for possible disaster for someone as young as she.

I hope she
                      a. skips some meets
                      b. phones in acoupla races
                      c. Arrives at the post-season hungry and fresh.
                      "Possible" being the operative word!
                      Kids know few or no boundaries.
                      They're ripe to explore and experiment---and for a track runner, that means testing your limits at every opportunity!!

My guess is, you put her in ANY NCAA women's race, and she'd finish top 10---at least!!
                      And I mean against the very best the Collegiate scene has to offer!

Did you see her interview after that 16:07??
                      She said she would have run faster, but it was her 1st time on the course, and she wasn't familiar with it.
                      She said if she returned, she'd crush that record!!

As for "potential" disaster, you could easily say the same thing about Eliud Kipchoge or Paula Radcliffe!
                      They also could blow up (or in Radcliffe's case, could HAVE blown up!) from testing their limits!!

But both have proven that going fast is NOT dangerous!!
                      Last edited by aaronk; 09-24-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

As for "potential" disaster, you could easily say the same thing about Eliud Kipchoge or Paula Radcliffe!
                        They also could blow up (or in Radcliffe's case, could HAVE blown up!) from testing their limits!!

But both have proven that going fast is NOT dangerous!!
                        If you're interested in balls to the wall for high school records it is great but you can't compare a 16 year old (?) to adults in terms of potential long term affect on running in this fashion prior to maturity.

It'll be great though when she's 21 or 22, can't approach her HS times and is now disinterested in the sport to a degree. It will make for blaming her coach at the time or some other irrelevant factor for her stagnation/regression. But....we'll have those HS records.

Maybe it works. History would say it doesn't.
                        Last edited by NotDutra5; 09-24-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

It's ironic to see a Mary Cain thread several spots below this one. Some people never learn...

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            It's ironic to see a Mary Cain thread several spots below this one. Some people never learn...
                            T-U-O-H-Y ain't C-A-I-N!
                            Not only spelled differently, but two different animals!

Because one got injured after a hot start doesn't mean the other will!
                            For one thing, one had a MANIAC for a coach!
                            Enough said.

Comment

"Possible" being the operative word!
                              Kids know few or no boundaries.
                              Which is exactly why kids (minors) need parents to help them make wise decisions.

Because one got injured after a hot start doesn't mean the other will!.
                              Mary Cain was 'the rule', not the exception. Why would you take chances with such a talent?!

Comment

Working...
                              X