Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58:18 WR Half Marathon

Ran first 10k in 28:03 then next 10k in 27:16....and he looked it....so I suppose with a more even pace the record should be under 58.

It depends on the course; maybe the first half was up and in to the wind...

Comment

The Valencia course seems to be for the
      Half-Marathon what Berlin is the the Marathon!

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
        It depends on the course; maybe the first half was up and in to the wind...
        I doubt a WR could be set on a course with significant height difference and/or wind.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Full Race report from 28th Half Marathon Valencia Trinidad Alfonso EDP, Spain, October 28, 2018.Kenya’s Abraham Kiptum broke the men’s world record at the IA...

One of the smoothest running styles I've ever seen. If someone can break Kipchoge's 2:01:39 I'd bet on this dude.
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-01-2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
            I doubt a WR could be set on a course with significant height difference and/or wind.
            The race appeared to be on the same course as the World Half Marathon Championships earlier this year.

The course starts near the harbour and runs away from the harbour to the highest point around halfway before returning down towards the ocean.

The difference in height over the course is a maximum of 13.8m, around 45 feet. The IAAF course map and (tiny) height profile is available here.

Edit: Race director of the Valencia Trinidad Alfonso EDP Half Marathon, Juan Manuel Botella said the course is "95% the same as the WCH in March". The only changes are at the start/finish if you compare the IAAF March map to the actual race map.

Originally posted by IAAF
            I can’t believe it, I’m over the moon,” said 29-year-old Kiptum. “Obviously I knew I was in good shape because I set a PB last month in Copenhagen but I was eager to run in Valencia because it’s one of the flattest circuits I’ve ever run and I was confident of improving on my best.
            Edit: There was rain the previous day, leaving Sunday nice and clear with morning temperatures around 12 C (54F) with a light wind for the 0900 start. More details in attached image.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by El Toro; 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
              The course starts near the harbour and runs away from the harbour to the highest point around halfway before returning down towards the ocean.
              From the profile it looks to me like both the start and the halfway point are at around the same level (ca. 10m). It's in the next couple km after halfway that the highest point is reached.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Note that the IAAF ratified Kebede's mark from the March race in Valencia as a women-only World Record

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  If someone can break Kipchoge's 2:01:39 I'd bet on this dude.
                  Don't

Comment

Too bad....fun to watch...

Comment

Can't say it's surprising.

Comment

No indeed not...

The London Marathon on Sunday will almost certainly be won by an East African. This group may be one of the most fascinating in all of sports science, such has their distance dominance been. But in…

Comment

Comment

Find latest news from every corner of the globe at Reuters.com, your online source for breaking international news coverage.

Comment

I would add another category of people that raise suspicion to me to the people Ross says should be in the high risk pool:
                              People who never have bad races.

Comment

Working...
                              X