X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe vs USA team match in 2019

https://www.iaaf.org/news/news/europe-vs-usa-minsk-2019

8 athletes per event, 4 from Europe, 4 from the US

I’m not sure about the timing, I can see a lot of the bigger names giving it a miss 3 weeks before Doha. But again, it’s good to see new formats being thought up

It's not actually new--there were a couple of Europe vs. US meets back in the '60s.

Comment

I prefer Europe vs Americas

Comment

Now that I think about it, the first meet of this type was indeed Europe vs. Americas. It was held in Montreal, in connection with the Expo that was held there that year.

Comment

I doubt we are going to see the major stars come out in force for this. It may depend on how much prize money is on offer, but I suspect at the very best the fields may be of similar quality to this year's World Cup.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
            Now that I think about it, the first meet of this type was indeed Europe vs. Americas. It was held in Montreal, in connection with the Expo that was held there that year.
            In the there's nothing new under the sun department, I would note that there was a U.S. vs. Commonwealth in London after the Rome Olympics in '60 (in which Snell runs a 1:44.8y relay leg).

And I have this vague tingle that there was the same meet at some point in the '30s (maybe after the '34 Commonwealth Games in London?)

Comment

The first U.S. vs. British Empire Games was held in London in September, 1920.

Comment

Given the depth in the US I think it'll be a one sided affair if European athletes prioritise Doha.

Comment

Of course, Ryun's great 3:33.1 in 1967 at the Coliseum was a U.S. - Commonwealth dual.

I sincerely doubt we will see anything like that at this new adventure. They probably won't even run any faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                    Given the depth in the US I think it'll be a one sided affair if European athletes prioritise Doha.
                    You really think the US has more depth than all of Europe combined? T&F is more than just the sprints.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                      You really think the US has more depth than all of Europe combined? T&F is more than just the sprints.
                      While the USA may well be stronger in events running up to 400m, I'd fancy Europe to be stronger in almost all other events except perhaps men's LJ and TJ and, maybe, SP. Of course, it depends a lot on who is closer to full strength.

I am intrigued by it being in Belarus, a country that seems to rarely be visited by foreign athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                        he said "if European athletes prioritize Doha"

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                          he said "if European athletes prioritize Doha"
                          ...and the Americans don't

Comment

"I am intrigued by it being in Belarus, a country that seems to rarely be visited by foreign athletes. "

I wonder why....

"Belarus has been ruled with an iron fist since 1994 by President Alexander Lukashenko. Opposition figures are subjected to harsh penalties for organising protests. In 2005, Belarus was listed by the US as Europe's only remaining "outpost of tyranny".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-17941131

A dual meet in Belarus...I'm sure a big draw.
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-16-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

A dual meet in Belarus...I'm sure a big draw.
                              As long as the money's right, they will come.

Comment

Working...
                              X