Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17yo Yaroslava Mahuchikh (Ukr) 1.96 (6-5)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17yo Yaroslava Mahuchikh (Ukr) 1.96 (6-5)

Today on JumpersWorld, a great Twitter Feed:
    "17yo Yaroslava Mahuchikh from Ukraine equaled the World U18 Record today with a jump of 1.96m (6’5)!!"

great video
    https://twitter.com/_jumpersworld/st...y&refsrc=email

edit: hmm, IAAF reports it as 1.98. Later jump?

Lasitskene went 2.00.
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-24-2018, 02:01 PM.

Given the surface for the run-up, which appears to be carpet on top of hard tiles, would this officially be recognized as a U18 record?

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
      Given the surface for the run-up, which appears to be carpet on top of hard tiles, would this officially be recognized as a U18 record?
      Looks like squares of rubberized matting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        edit: hmm, IAAF reports it as 1.98. Later jump?
        It was 1.96.

http://bfla.eu/?p=40756#more-40756

Comment

Here's the European Athletics report.

Lasitskene clears 2.00m and attempts 2.07m in Minsk

The strength in depth in Ukrainian high jumping was on show as reigning world and European U18 champion Yaroslava Mahuchikh excelled in her final competition in the youth ranks, improving her lifetime best to 1.96m on her first attempt to equal the world U18 best.

Mahuchikh, who cleared 1.95m to win the Youth Olympic Games title in October, retired from the competition after her record-equalling exploits.

Comment

Is this a shopping mall world record?

Comment

I'm not a high jump expert, but two things stood out to me on that video:
              1) She is really, really fast on her approach,
              2) She looked to clear that bar by a lot.

Comment

That was probably her last shot at the U18 record, but before the winter's over, she could challenge Vashti Cunningham's U20 WIR.

She's been looking like an exciting talent at least since she took the world U18 title last year. And when she did, she talked of Lasitskene as her idol: https://www.iaaf.org/news/feature/ya...igh-jump-champ
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

For future reference, wouldn't the first h in her surname be quite a hard sound. More like an English G or K than the softer 'h' in words like happy or hair.

Comment

Here's a lesson from a Ukrainian on how to pronounce the Ukrainian 'h': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugIkcW3XwI4 (the relevant part starts after 0:30)

The first 'h' in Mahuchikh is the second type, i.e. as in 'holod' = famine

Comment

Ukraine somehow manages to bring out one HJ talent after another, i wonder how they do it. Do they have a special national coach or is it just coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
                        Is this a shopping mall world record?
                        Lasitskene jumped 2.00 in the same competition a year ago already. Meets in shopping malls are not unheard of - the one in Potsdam where Piotr Lisek vaulted 6 meters last year was of this type.

Comment

Why go for the tie instead of a 1 cm improvement? Seems like whoever came up with the progression was aware of who was in the competition and could've easily fixed that.

Comment

Because they based the progression on the good chance that Lasitskene would jump 2m, not on the off chance of someone breaking a WR.

Comment

Thanks for posting the video, Atticus!
                              Yes, Mahuchikh is a great talent. Lots of stuff to like. I think her clearance technique is outstanding. Terrific hip height. Good and fast 9-step run-up.
                              The only thing that mystifies me is her alleged bodily height at 1.65 (5-5) Both the EEA and Tilastopaja have that. I can't believe she is 14 cms shorter than Levchenko. Maybe the height is from when she was 16. Who knows? The only world class jumper I know is shorter is Inika McPherson at 1.63 (5-4 1/4). Looking at Mahuchikh in the take-off and comparing with the bar height she looks at least 1.70 I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X