Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New T&FN feature?

Monty is rather light, as is Bershawn Jackson. I always thought Calvin Davis could be good in the 800; he's not too thick and 800 training would slim him further.
    But I'll always think that Jose "Tony" Parilla was the ideal 800 runner. 45 speed, decent endurance (hs mile and cross), light, and the most beautiful stride.

Comment

Parilla really was quite a waste of talent. He seemed about as motivated about running as my cats.

Comment

Mel Patton was 6', 148 pounds.

I think the fact Tommie Smith was skinny or slender says much . . . it means he probably ran "clean" or at least relative to the gorged-out, yellow-eyed monsters of today. . . maybe Smith was the last great one to do so.

Today (June 7) I happened to be standing in south endzone of the Stanford track, watching the Oracle meet.

Watching the 200-meter runners walk by after the race -- comic book muscles -- what I can say is, too bad for track. Those kind of bodies didn't exist in the days of "skinny" sprinters. The whole thing stinks. Track can't police itself.

Thirty years from now, be sure to check the premature deaths of top-ranked 2000-era sprinters and throwers from funny causes . . . heart arhythmias, pancreatic cancers.

I read somewhere that the average NFL player lives to be 59. My prediction is that this will hold true for certain track athletes. Aren't steroids great?

Comment

Re: Ramblin'

<Is Kedaris not the weirdest champion sprinter ever?<

i am originally greek as my first name shows and i can not agree with you more. i think capel was much better and should have won in sydney, but he made a big rookie mistake that cost him dearly. in edmonton kederis he won clearly, but against a mediocre field that was bunched at 20.15 - 20.25, a full second slower than mj's record. i personally do not respect sprinters or field event athletes that compete in 3 meets every year, to me they are suspect big time. he has run sub 20 once in his career last year and hasn't done anything since. plus he will be 30 this summer so i think he peaked in 2000, 2001 and 2002. i hope that one the many talented americans (greene, jj johnson, crawford, capel, miller, patton or gatlin) will be in top shape this summer and give him a whooping...

Comment

Working...
          X