Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    between Mondo and Matvey the WR will be pushed to 6.30.
    The same could be said of ME and Mondo.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
      Long update here: https://www.sovsport.ru/athletic/art...eih_lA7VtQ0nrM

They have moved to Belarus and that that between Mondo and Matvey the WR will be pushed to 6.30.
      Here's a Google map of the drive from Irkutsk to Minsk: The big drive

Comment

Volkov set an absolute world U18 record with 5.60 in Łódź a few days ago and will take on the big boys again tomorrow in Toruń. BTW, he reportedly considered representing Poland, but that fell through due to the amount of time it would take to complete all the paperwork. Belarus gave him citizenship within 2 weeks or something of the sort.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Here's a Google map of the drive from Irkutsk to Minsk: The big drive
          About like driving from Caribou, ME to San Diago via Key West.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            About like driving from Caribou, ME to San Diago via Key West.
            Yikes. Might as well drivest the longest in the world

from Sagres, Portugal to Khasan, Russia . . . a mere 8,726 miles.

Comment

He got 5.40 today. He was well down the list.

Comment

But the next height was 5.60, so he would have needed to equal his WR to go higher. You can't expect him to do it in every competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                  But the next height was 5.60, so he would have needed to equal his WR to go higher. You can't expect him to do it in every competition.
                  No. Nor would I have expected him to win at that level. I’m not sure when Mondo started to compete with the pros. Junior year of HS? Mondo’s career seems to have extraordinarily well managed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                    No. Nor would I have expected him to win at that level. I’m not sure when Mondo started to compete with the pros. Junior year of HS? Mondo’s career seems to have extraordinarily well managed.
                    Mondo was the perfect storm - pit in his backyard since infancy with older brothers egging him on. A dad who was a great vaulter AND coach, and a mom who was also a superb athlete, who took care of his off-the-runway training. All poured into a highly athletic (and fast!) body and competitive will.

Comment

• The story I heard recently was that Matvey was 4 years old when he said to his dad "I want to do the pole vault like you did".

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Mondo was the perfect storm - pit in his backyard since infancy with older brothers egging him on. A dad who was a great vaulter AND coach, and a mom who was also a superb athlete, who took care of his off-the-runway training. All poured into a highly athletic (and fast!) body and competitive will.
                        Plus, his family had financial resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          If I recall correctly, it was in his junior year that he did the 10 vaults over 5.50 in less than 30 minutes (only one miss) and vaulted exceptionally well at the Texas Relays -- was world class at that point. Not long to the Euros meet after that and that great dual.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

If I recall correctly, it was in his junior year that he did the 10 vaults over 5.50 in less than 30 minutes (only one miss) and vaulted exceptionally well at the Texas Relays -- was world class at that point. Not long to the Euros meet after that and that great dual.
                            Yes Sir Sam had done 5 5.50 vaults in 30 minutes Mondo doubled it making 10......dont forget that year he also LJ 7.15m (23'5.5") and came out second in state. He lost to JaMarr Chase the LSU reciever .

Comment

• Matvey Volkov has got Belarusian citizenship and will compete for Belarus.

edit: Don't be surprised if his last name becomes Volkau or a similar distorted version some time soon. 😒
                              Last edited by Pakilo; 05-21-2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                                I'm guessing WA doesn't yet have any plan on how to treat them. Looking ahead is NOT one of WA's strong suits.
                                My home state. Nothing has changed since I ran 50+ years ago. You ran on your own resource.

Comment

Working...
                                X