Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by typpo View Post
    Lowlights - Luke Matthews post-race celebration, Henry Smith's cap, both triple jumps, absence of numerous star athletes...
    Australia has never produced a decent female TJer, so that's not surprising.

Australia has produced some very competitive male TJers over the years but they aren't frequent.

There has been no 17m jump for 7 years (since 2012), and before Frayne's first 17m jump 2011, there hadn't been one for 10 years (Murphy).

Previous gap was 5years between Lorraway (1984) and Murphy (1989).

Before that was 9 years between May (1971) and Campbell (1980).

Lorraway and Campbell was the only time that Australia had two 17m jumpers in the same year (1980).

So that's only 5 guys over 17m in 51 years!

Comment

• The population of Australia is a little less than that of Texas. Has Texas had more than 5 guys over 17m? (I honestly don't know--perhaps yes.)

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        The population of Australia is a little less than that of Texas. Has Texas had more than 5 guys over 17m? (I honestly don't know--perhaps yes.)
        Omar Craddock
        Chris Carter

I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
          Omar Craddock
          Chris Carter

I can't think of any more off the top of my head.
          Not sure where he was born and raised but Tyrone Scott has the UT Austin school record at 17.03.

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post
            Not sure where he was born and raised but Tyrone Scott has the UT Austin school record at 17.03.
            He was from California, I believe.

Also have to remember that boys didn't have the triple jump in Texas high school competition until 1990.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
              Australia has never produced a decent female TJer, so that's not surprising.

Australia has produced some very competitive male TJers over the years but they aren't frequent.

There has been no 17m jump for 7 years (since 2012), and before Frayne's first 17m jump 2011, there hadn't been one for 10 years (Murphy).

Previous gap was 5years between Lorraway (1984) and Murphy (1989).

Before that was 9 years between May (1971) and Campbell (1980).

Lorraway and Campbell was the only time that Australia had two 17m jumpers in the same year (1980).

So that's only 5 guys over 17m in 51 years!
              That is better than you think!

The UK has over 2 and a half times Australia's population and despite producing the likes of Edwards, Idowu and Connor plus Commonwealth Champs like Herbert, Achike and Golley has only had 10 men over 17m.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                That is better than you think!

The UK has over 2 and a half times Australia's population and despite producing the likes of Edwards, Idowu and Connor plus Commonwealth Champs like Herbert, Achike and Golley has only had 10 men over 17m.
                For a bit of fun, I had a quick and dirty look at select countries using the IAAF all time list [edit:outdoor,wind legal] + country filters and UN estimates for 2019 population. Sorted by ratio of 17m jumpers to millions of population.

Country Count17m Population(m) Jumpers/m
                Cuba 28 11.5 2.43
                Bulgaria 11 7 1.57
                Sweden 4 10 0.40
                Romania 7 19.5 0.36
                Jamaica 1 3 0.33
                France 16 65 0.25
                Poland 8 38 0.21
                Australia 5 25.5 0.20
                UK 10 54 0.19
                USA 39 328 0.12
                Italy 6 59 0.10
                Brazil 11 212 0.05
                RSA 2 58 0.03
                Japan 2 127 0.02
                China 15 1,419 0.01
                Note that the IAAF lists have historical performances attached to historical affiliations like FRG/GDR and URS, however, there does not appear to be any secondary assignment to current countries such as GER and Russia/Ukrain etc.

This means if you filter on GER or RUS, you only get performances since unification/disunification, so I didn't include these.
                Last edited by El Toro; 04-10-2019, 03:52 AM.

Comment

The UK has over 2 and a half times Australia's population...
                  Curiously, the UK/AUS numbers for long jump are 19/18.

Comment

• Big news from National University Games in Sydney this weekend:

W800m: Catriona Bisset 1.59:78 (#4 Aussie ever)

Comment

• Other strong-ish (or interesting) Uni Games results

M100m Nicholas Andrews 10.66 (0.0)
                      MJT Cameron McEntyre 74.70 PB (20yo)

W100m Jenneke 12.00 (0.3)
                      W200m Jenneke 24.33 (-1.6)
                      W1500m Griffith 4:10.52 Georgia Hansen 4:11.22 PB
                      W100mH Jenneke 13.28 (0.9) Isabella Reeves 13.58 PB (18yo)
                      (Jenneke also ran on winning Sprint Medley team and winning 4x1 for 5 golds)
                      W3000mSt Georgia Winkcup 10.18:28 (also 4th in 800m)
                      WHJ McDermott 1.85
                      WHT Hulley 63.63m

http://www.nswathletics.info/liveresults/2019/UniSport/

Comment

• Originally posted by AS View Post
                        (Jenneke also ran on winning Sprint Medley team and winning 4x1 for 5 golds)
                        She needs to work on her long jump, shot & discus

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                          She needs to work on her long jump, shot & discus
                          Oh, I just noticed that:
                          LJ: 5.59m (0.2) - 4th
                          TJ: 11.73w (2.2) - 7th
                          SP: 10.96m - 4th
                          DT: 32.99m - 7th

Better than I would have tipped in her throws! Busy weekend...

Comment

For a bit of fun, I had a quick and dirty look at select countries using the IAAF all time list [edit:outdoor,wind legal] + country filters and UN estimates for 2019 population. Sorted by ratio of 17m jumpers to millions of population.

Country Count17m Population(m) Jumpers/m
                            Cuba 28 11.5 2.43
                            Bulgaria 11 7 1.57
                            Sweden 4 10 0.40
                            Romania 7 19.5 0.36
                            Jamaica 1 3 0.33
                            France 16 65 0.25
                            Poland 8 38 0.21
                            Australia 5 25.5 0.20
                            UK 10 54 0.19
                            USA 39 328 0.12
                            Italy 6 59 0.10
                            Brazil 11 212 0.05
                            RSA 2 58 0.03
                            Japan 2 127 0.02
                            China 15 1,419 0.01
                            Note that the IAAF lists have historical performances attached to historical affiliations like FRG/GDR and URS, however, there does not appear to be any secondary assignment to current countries such as GER and Russia/Ukrain etc.

This means if you filter on GER or RUS, you only get performances since unification/disunification, so I didn't include these.
                            UK population is more like 64 million than 54. Probably doesn't change the position in the table but will bring us closer to 'underachievers' like the US.
                            Last edited by Trickstat; 04-15-2019, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Curiously, the UK/AUS numbers for long jump are 19/18.
                              I assume that is over 8m? With the odd minor exception, British men's LJ was pretty poor between Lynn Davies and Greg Rutherford.

Comment

I assume that is over 8m? With the odd minor exception, British men's LJ was pretty poor between Lynn Davies and Greg Rutherford.
                                Oh, presumption tends to lead towards the most egregious of moral and intellectual failures - but not this time! IAAF list indeed goes down to 8.00m.

If you want to be picky, IAAF points scores put 8.13 (from memory) as the equivalent of 17.00m TJ and if you use that measure, the UK is even worse off in LJ compared to AUS.

Comment

Working...
                                X