Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
    I wondered when Wells might have lost last but it appeared close and might mean she's pushed more domestically, something she must have missed over recent years.
    Yeah, she's picked up a lot of titles but I can't really rate that as an achievement when there's no effective competition.

If she actually had to race domestically for all of the last decade, I think she could have ended up with better times and been more competitive when it came to real competitons. No matter how hard you try to push yourself, you brain always knows there's no real need if you have a guaranteed 2 second margin over 2nd. Then when you suddently hit a real competition overseas, you are not really trained for the different mental approach.

If I am being greedy I wanted faster times but I guess with a long season ahead, people are building and if you're looking at Doha, you've got what must feel like a lifetime to wait.
    I think the contrast with last year exacerbates things. Everybody was firing up for a major home competition in April, whereas, as you say, a late, overseas competition in 2019 with harder qualifying requires a significant change in timing.

Comment

Article on Wells in the local rag https://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...28-p50u30.html

Comment

Originally posted by nztrackfan View Post
        Of course if young Nketia was of dubious character (e.g. gang related) or committed crimes in good old Oz the Aussies would have no hesitation in denying he was one of theirs and he'd be deported back across the ditch based on his being born in NZ. PS I did read that he was born in NZ
        Then as he was born prior to 1 January 2006, he was automatically an NZ citizen at birth

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
          Then as he was born prior to 1 January 2006, he was automatically an NZ citizen at birth
          So thanks to the Aussie system for progressing this young Kiwi's athletics talents to where they are today - and let's hope he doesn't end up playing rugby as so many other athletic talents do!!

Comment

So thanks to the Aussie system for progressing this young Kiwi's athletics talents to where they are today - and let's hope he doesn't end up playing rugby as so many other athletic talents do!!
            You were saying? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0PzMX4jz4

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
              Yeah, she's picked up a lot of titles but I can't really rate that as an achievement when there's no effective competition.

If she actually had to race domestically for all of the last decade, I think she could have ended up with better times and been more competitive when it came to real competitons. No matter how hard you try to push yourself, you brain always knows there's no real need if you have a guaranteed 2 second margin over 2nd. Then when you suddently hit a real competition overseas, you are not really trained for the different mental approach.
              For every (nearly...maybe less than I think... Pearson owning the hurdles since she was a junior really, Pittman also?) great Australian athlete on the world stage, there's always been another way right behind them and for whatever reason Wells and missed out on that with the tail end of Pittman's career and now what feels like the first other 55 sec Australian in ages.

Comment

..,,,,,,,,,,Also, while I recognise that he might have an easier path to major champs as a NZer, what about financial/medical support etc? Last time I knew anything about comparative support, Aus. was far superior on this front compared to the Far Eastern dominion.
                I have no idea which country would offer him the best support,

However, the NZ system seems to achieve better results if you base it on the number of kiwis ranked in the top 10 of the world compared to Australia; taking into account the fact that Australia has 6 times more people.

Also get it right, “Far Eastern dominion “ ?? No, no, no. North Island, South Island and WEST ISLAND.

Comment

Playing rugby for NZ will make him a lot more money if he makes he All Blacks (15s).

If he made NZ 7s side for 2020 this would be his best chance of getting an Olympic medal. However I hope TNF wins out.

Edited to correct predictive text
                  Last edited by Tuariki; 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

However, the NZ system seems to achieve better results if you base it on the number of kiwis ranked in the top 10 of the world compared to Australia; taking into account the fact that Australia has 6 times more people.
                    Interesting conjecture. I might have to do some stats on that one day.

Also get it right, “Far Eastern dominion “ ?? No, no, no. North Island, South Island and WEST ISLAND.
                    Touché, or as they say on the North and South islands, tuch-ee.

Comment

Playing rugby for NZ will make him a lot more money if he makes he All Blacks (15s).

If he msjesvhd NZ 7s side this would be his best chance of getting an Olympic medal. However I joe TNF wins out
                      Yeah, he probably made more money playing schoolboy rugby for Eddie's than he'd make for sprinting for NZ or AUS. Also, I "joe" your predictive text improves in the next version.

Comment

For every (nearly...maybe less than I think... Pearson owning the hurdles since she was a junior really, Pittman also?) great Australian athlete on the world stage, there's always been another way right behind them and for whatever reason Wells and missed out on that with the tail end of Pittman's career and now what feels like the first other 55 sec Australian in ages.
                        You're as bad as Tauriki, thinking of interesting questions I hadn't thought of in the general case! I might have to look at that but it'll be a big job. If you and V-e are interested, I might start working on building a data set.

Comment

You're as bad as Tauriki, thinking of interesting questions I hadn't thought of in the general case! I might have to look at that but it'll be a big job. If you and V-e are interested, I might start working on building a data set.
                          LOL!

Purely a guess but I think of over the last 25 years that Freeman had MGT, Taurima had Burge, all the race walkers had each other and were better athletes because of that domestic push, tough to compete for three months at home without someone there top push you... but then again Pearson and Pittman had few consistent domestic rivals and that didn't hold them back from being global medalists, though being hurdlers means that you can complete in flat events if you want to.

Right now Australian mens sprinting has some solid young athletes at the moment who I think will all benefit from having each other around.

Comment

Purely a guess....
                            Yeah, your guess is the same as my feels. It feels true and it feels like it must logically be true, but is that really the case when there is so little depth.
                            Maybe we only strongly remember the instances when there were at least two? I might look at a small selection to test it out.

Comment

Yeah, he probably made more money playing schoolboy rugby for Eddie's than he'd make for sprinting for NZ or AUS. Also, I "joe" your predictive text improves in the next version.
                              Now corrected.
                              Fat finger-itis also contributes to playing havoc with predictive text on an iPhone.

Comment

Athletics NZ quick off the mark to claim Edward Nketia's performances as per this extract from an Athletics NZ report.

Edward Nketia, son of New Zealand national 100m record holder Gus Nketia at 10.11, has rewritten the New Zealand junior sprint records in one fell swoop. The 17 year old was second in the open 100m in 10.30 to erase Kodi Harman and Joshua Billington’s New Zealand U/18 record of 10.56, Kodi Harman’s U/19 record of 10.42 and David Ambler’s U/20 record of 10.35.

Nketia later won the 200m in 20.76 (-0.5) to break Mark Keddell’s U/18 record of 21.10 and Dale McClunie’s U/19 and U/20 record of 20.94.

Comment

Working...
                                X