Clear All

• El Toro
    replied
    The 2020 thread is right here.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

On the positive side of that list, no commentator will be able to say "Jess Trengrove" ever again
    Apart from you just doing it, you mean?

Anyway, she might yet give them an opportunity to "r"s it up.
    Jess Trengove aims for Tokyo

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by typpo View Post
    Zhoya is a notable absentee from AA's latest athlete funding list too, which probably doesn't bode well.

On the positive side of that list, no commentator will be able to say "Jess Trengrove" ever again

Leave a comment:

• typpo
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
    Haha - I am glad to not have to chop wood for a few months yet.

A few reasonable results from the All-Schools in Perth over the weekend, thought nothing truly outstanding and the wind being painful.

I hope it doesn't signify anything that Sasha Zhoya didn't enter.
    Zhoya is a notable absentee from AA's latest athlete funding list too, which probably doesn't bode well.

https://www.athletics.com.au/high-pe.../nass-hp/#able

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    In case anybody has no idea why smoke/air quality is being mentioned, here is an interactive map of the area burnt to date in Australia's bushfire season.

Unfortunately, the overlay square can't be redimensioned to match your local geography, but you can centre it on any city in the world using the search function so a judicious choice will help.

At time of posting, the area burnt was 3.1 million hectares and we still have at least three months to go.

For comparison, the amount burnt in the 2019 California fires was 102,472 hectares (253,214 acres)

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro View Post
    I went out there today to enjoy the bushfire smoke haze and see where the track is at.
    Same again today.

The track is now fully marked, although the white lines seem to have a yellowish tinge and smell of burnt eucalypt for some reason...

Air Quality Index on this side of town yesterday exceeded 1000 yesterday so you wouldn't want to be using the facility anyway. Let's hope AIS athletes are indoors in a filtered environment.

Still, today we're only as bad as Kolkata and three times as bad as Beijing. Hoping to get back to our usual 15 AQI some time around Easter.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    A fascinating story about the mystery marathon runner Adrienne Beames:

ETA - actually since I think Garry likes things in the appropriate place, I will create a thread in 'historical'.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    The Stawell Gift is in a bit of trouble - well, more than usual.

Just give us money, not accountability!

Leave a comment:

• cuban
    replied
    I got my Zatopek info from AA...being 10,000 miles away I figured that'd be the place to go...I tried to get info from your newspapers but nothing came up...as a distance fan (track only) I was looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by AS View Post
    AA would have to actually publicise the event was happening... But that is clearly beneath them...
    Yup. With the pre-Christmas 'rush', I clean forgot about the event - like AA did apparently. I even checked FB to see if I'd missed something, but could only see a post from Oceania Athletics Association after the event. Nothing from AA before.

Oh - for the good ol' Stephen Lock days, well before social media, when AA media provided useful information for athlete, coach and fans.
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 12-17-2019, 05:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by AS View Post
    AA would have to actually publicise the event was happening... But that is clearly beneath them...
    They were good for a while but lately they seem to have reverted to "you'll know if you need to know, but if you just want to know, you won't".

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro View Post
    AS is supposed to be on AUS distance reporting duty,

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by cuban View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that 27.23 N.R with a 56 last lap in Box Hill.
    AS is supposed to be on AUS distance reporting duty, especially Melbourne venues. I'm surprised he wasn't at the venue because it was the Australian Championships race.

This record jumps McSweyn from 21st at the end of 2018 with his 27:50.89 to 1st, a tidy 27 second drop.

This drops Ron Clarke to 6th performer and 8th performance on the AUS all time list with his former 1965 WR of 27:39.89.

However, the benefit of modern tracks over Clarke's Bislett cinders sets an equivalency target for current athletes of 27:14.89 at the oft quoted 1 second per lap.

Many people consider one second to be too genererous, so a more conservative 0.5 seconds per lap gives an equivalent time of 27:26.39, which puts only two Aussies ahead of Clarke in the last 54 years:

27:23.80 Stewart MCSWEYN Box Hill, Melbourne 14 DEC 2019
    27:24.95 Ben ST. LAWRENCE Palo Alto, CA 01 MAY 2011

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    A very good performance. Our final national record for the decade no doubt. Hopefully a few more to discuss in 2020.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by cuban View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that 27.23 N.R with a 56 last lap in Box Hill.
    Made me look!

1 Mcsweyn, Stewart 95 TASMANIA 27:23.80
    2 Tiernan, Patrick 94 QUEENSLAND 27:31.20
    http://athsvic.org.au/wp-content/upl...ll-results.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X