Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond League getting cuts in 2020

Meanwhile.... I see the 5000 has joined the 10,000 in being extinct in Europe.... not surprising...and 90 minute meets...pretty radical.... but it shows how dire the situation is when soccer dominates everything....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lans-athletics
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-11-2019, 05:58 PM.

Not just the 5000, they are eliminating eight events from the DL, i assume most of those will be field events. Coe will not rest until he has destroyed everything that makes our sport exciting.

Comment

Have they announced which events have been cut?
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
        Have they announced which events have been cut?
        25% cut....but I think we can sort of guess....

It's like Titanic.... distance races and field events are in steerage and the lifeboats have left...
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-11-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Living in a country where 3 hour sporting events is the norm, what is the impetus for 90 minute meets?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            25% cut....but I think we can sort of guess....

It's like Titanic.... distance races and field events are in steerage and the lifeboats have left...
            It looks like the 5000 will simply be replaced by 3000, so there is no reduction in the total number of events there. SC might be in danger, but I fear it's mostly going to be the throws that are cut.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
              Living in a country where 3 hour sporting events is the norm, what is the impetus for 90 minute meets?
              We are talking about Europe here...where all the DLs are, except Eugene, and soccer matches last 90 minutes....

Comment

We are talking about Europe here...where all the DLs are, except Eugene, and soccer matches last 90 minutes....
                Last time I checked Doha, Shanghai and Rabat were not in Europe. And a soccer match is closer to 2 hours if you include the halftime and the few minutes that always get added to the game time.

Comment

We are talking about Europe here...where all the DLs are, except Eugene,
                  No, there are two DLs in Asia (Doha and Shanghai) and one in Africa (Rabat).

Comment

Last time I checked Doha, Shanghai and Rabat were not in Europe. And a soccer match is closer to 2 hours if you include the halftime and the few minutes that always get added to the game time.
                    Halftime is you go out to get a pint.... no one notices... time flies...

Yes I forgot about Doha, Shanghai, and Morocco. great centers of athletics fandom...

Like Eugene supported by local billionaires...

Could track really even survive even in its present withered state if European meets disappeared....we may soon find out.
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-11-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Could track really even survive even in its present withered state if European meets disappeared....we may soon find out.
                      I don't really see them all disappearing all of a sudden. If one does, I'm pretty sure Poland would be happy to step in

Comment

It looks like the 5000 will simply be replaced by 3000, so there is no reduction in the total number of events there. SC might be in danger, but I fear it's mostly going to be the throws that are cut.
                        One option I see is that field events are included on a rotating basis - each event is only included every other year.

Comment

Don't they have cricket matches in the UK that last for days?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                            Don't they have cricket matches in the UK that last for days?
                            5 in fact.... I follow cricket....but sadly not very relevant for our discussion... anymore than the fact golf tournaments go on for 4 days and get big crowds....

OTOH the big thing in cricket now is 20/20 cricket that lasts about 2 hours....that's brought in a lot of traditional non cricket fans...
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-11-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Not that it matters what I think, here or anywhere, but reducing DL meets to 90 minutes seems like an error of the worst kind -- it will be easy to show it as a success in the short term, but it will have long-term negative impacts. A 2-hour 'show' is really, really not asking too much of the people who attend the show -- you know, the actual fans. I suppose I understand why these things can't be super-lengthy, but making the show that much shorter does not make it better. Were that true, why not go for 30 minutes -- 3 times better!

Sporting events, or entertainment and art events that are too long are those I don't like in the first place, and making them shorter does not make me wish to watch them.

Oh well, I am still an athletics fan, and I will remain so, despite the sports' best efforts to make me uninterested.

Comment

Working...
                              X