Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bekh-Romanchuk 7.35!

At a meeting in Kiev today.

Nykyforov and Mazur both broke 8.10 in the men’s event.

If it's legal, that 7.35 the longest jump in the world since 2002.

Comment

aka 24-1½

Comment

aka April Fools' Day
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
          aka April Fools' Day
          In my latest blog post, I reported what Sally Pearson wrote on Facebook---that she's "abandoning" the 100H ito become a heptathlete, aiming for the Tokyo OG!!

I took her seriously, not realizing that when I wrote that on March 31st here, it was already April 1st in Australia!!

OOPS!!

I'll do a mea culpa in my next post!!
          LOL

Comment

aka April Fools' Day
            Are you saying that this jump never happened? Do you know that for sure?

Comment

Rule #1....never believe ANYTHING in the media on April 1.
              Back in the day the Long Beach Press-Telegram ran a front page...not front page sports section but front page...above the fold story with photo stating that Mickey Mantle had been traded to the LA Angels. This was in the early '60's....L.A. went berserk before somebody realized what day it was. The Mick even wore an Angels jersey for the photo.

Oh, BTW, did you read the story about James Comey announcing today that he is running for president in 2020?

I won't get political but if you haven't seen it yet search out Dan Rather's tweet about the president.
              Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 04-02-2019, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                Are you saying that this jump never happened? Do you know that for sure?
                Do you seriously believe there are meets in Ukraine at this time of the year?

Comment

Do you seriously believe there are meets in Ukraine at this time of the year?
                  Actually there was a shot and hammer meet in Nova Kakhovka on Saturday. Klymets 72.65 wHT was the only top Mark.
                  The national winter walks champs took place the previous weekend in Ivano-Frankivsk.

Comment

Many European countries have winter throwing meets nowadays, and the walks, like road running, have a different season altogether. But there are no general T&F meets anywhere I can think of until late April at earliest.

Comment

Many European countries have winter throwing meets nowadays, and the walks, like road running, have a different season altogether. But there are no general T&F meets anywhere I can think of until late April at earliest.
                      I tried checking a Calendar page at the website of the Ukrainian Athletics Federation and it seems to confirm this.

But on the other hand, the report seems to be a very odd April Fool's prank. What is the source of the original post?

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

But on the other hand, the report seems to be a very odd April Fool's prank.
                        And not the first one, either
                        https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...highlight=povh

Comment

I remember Tilastopaja had a good one once - I think it was in the late 1990s. They published made-up results of a women's marathon in China, with completely unknown runners achieving times rewriting the world all-time list (not quite breaking the WR, but not far off it). Given the history of Chinese women's running in that era, it didn't seem all that far fetched, and I was actually fooled initially. The one subtle clue given was that the first letters of the top ten runners' names formed APRIL FOOLS.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                            . . . the report seems to be a very odd April Fool's prank.
                            That was my reaction too, which is why I was taking it seriously. I had obviously forgotten about the 4-year-old thread that Powell dug up.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                              That was my reaction too, which is why I was taking it seriously. I had obviously forgotten about the 4-year-old thread that Powell dug up.
                              I had forgotten about that thread too, and I even commented on it!

Allow me to link to a rant I posted in 2015 against April Fool's Day pranks. In this age of fake news and online disinformation these pranks have outlived any benefit they used to provide as a humorous diversion.

https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...=1#post2505533

Comment

Working...
                              X