Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 USATF Championship Time Schedule - Long Throws

I am currently in the process of pleading with USATF to modify the time schedule. They continue to schedule the long throws right in the middle of the in-stadium events. If spectators want to watch the long throws, they have to sacrifice watching running events and other field events. I don't understand the rationale for this. It is acceptable in Eugene, because the long throws (except hammer) are thrown in the stadium. It is not acceptable in Sacramento or Des Moines. We currently have several long throwers ranked in the world top 10: Mason Finley, Reggie Jagers, Deanna Price, Gwen Berry, and Kara Winger. It seems disrespectful to them and the other long throwers to deliberately schedule their events during the in-stadium program. Fortunately, there is an easy solution to this problem. Start the long throws before or at the same time as the multis. The facilities woiuld already be open and staffed. This easy solution would work on days one, three, and four. On day two, the hammer would conflict with the decathlon discus. The hammer would have to start a couple hours before the discus, or wait until after the discus has finished. It could still be moved a couple hours earlier than the current schedule. If you agree with me, please let USATF know. Maybe they will make the decision to modify the time schedule.

hear-hear!!!!

Comment

Agreed.

And this seems very unlikely to be something that the USATF can blame on television demands, since at least 99 times out of 100 the TV broadcast has no interest in going live to a long throw during the TV window.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
        And this seems very unlikely to be something that the USATF can blame on television demands, since at least 99 times out of 100 the TV broadcast has no interest in going live to a long throw during the TV window.
        The long throws don't even factor into 'TV demands', so USATF should do it for the athletes and the fans!

Comment

In Des Moines they have the capacity to show some of the long throws on the video board in the main stadium, and also to use the scoreboard to update the standings frequently--certainly after every round. But at last year's Nationals, they used that capacity only occasionally. There were many times when nothing was going on the stadium and they certainly could have used the big scoreboard to provide images and info from the long throws but they didn't. Very frustrating.

Edited to fix typo.
          Last edited by tandfman; 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I have enjoyed it when the hammer is before the meet. Everyone can get there early and watch and applaud every throw - then just migrate to your seats to watch the running.
            So - I "hear hear" GH's "hear hear"!

Also - by the way:
            https://www.grammarly.com/blog/here-here-vs-hear-hear/

Comment

so, everybody on the board has kvetched to Indy, right? :-)

Comment

Working...
              X