Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new boys long jump leader [or not]

26-6 for Tony Martin of Saginaw, Michigan
    Last edited by gh; 06-04-2019, 04:10 PM.

Whoa.
    How often do we get two 26+ ers?

Comment

Paging Mr. Boling.
      Mr. Boling, do you have a response?

edit -

I just checked Milesplit.
      It says Mich already has a 26-footer in Caleb Sarver and Tony Martin's PR is 23-3.
      A THREE FOOT improvement?

Sarver looks like an obvious bogus mark, but so does Martin's.
      Last edited by Atticus; 04-26-2019, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Paging Mr. Boling.
        I suspect we'll be reading more about Mr. Martin's performance soon. T&FN's Jeff Hollobaugh is in Michigan and has been doing the research needed in checking this mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Tony Martin's PR is 23-3.
          A THREE FOOT improvement?

I'm sure Jeff Hollobaugh is all over this one, and he reports the series on Twitter as:
          Wind a legal 1.6mps. His 3-jump series: 26-6 (1.6), 23-5 (1.6), 23-11 (2.0)

https://twitter.com/michtrack/status...29579653484544

Martin set a PR earlier this year of 24-0ΒΌ.

The only thing I found a bit strange is that he brings his own wind gauge to meets just in case he sets a record, according to this local story.

https://expo.mlive.com/sports/g66l-2...onal-mark.html

It is not clear whether the wind gauge was operated by a trained official. The kid is obviously talented, so perhaps he'll pop one in a bigger meet than a local dual meet. He is signed to Michigan State.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
            I'm sure Jeff Hollobaugh is all over this one, and he reports the series on Twitter
            Indeed - if Jeff says it's legit, it is.

Comment

The athlete posted pictures:

https://twitter.com/tony_martin21/st...27398745374722

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                Hmmm, I would guess that even Jeff might not be able to consider it 'wind legal'. Undeniably a GREAT jump though.

Comment

I am skeptical that a following hurricane could produce a 3 feet improvement.
                  If they were converting to Imperial from a metric measuring device, this looks like a one meter mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                    I am skeptical that a following hurricane could produce a 3 feet improvement.
                    If they were converting to Imperial from a metric measuring device, this looks like a one meter mistake.
                    The one factor that's working in his behalf is that it's still early in his season and natural maturity and strength work in the off-season can make this happen in HS kids.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      Point well taken, but the photo of the official's sheet seems to indicate it was measured in the imperial. Also, if it was measured metric, in the BGB tables neither 8.08 nor 8.07 converts to 26-6.

Comment

Not unusual for high school jumpers to be wildly inconsistent during a series of jumps. Seems like we ought to be happy though that multiple kids are over 26' this season under any sort of wind conditions.
                        LJ has been way too stagnant way too long.
                        Given the improvements in sprint times over the past half century 26' ought to be the norm for elite young jumpers
                        Bobby Bonds was jumping 25' during his spare time between baseball gams 55 years ago!

Comment

it was measured in English-only

Comment

Skeptic party of one.

Comment

see Jeff Hollobaugh's Martin story on the home page…

Comment

Working...
                              X