X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRM
    replied
    Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
    Well, there apparently can be some advantage to being in the outside lanes in the 100 meters, because if I am not mistaken, Justin Gatlin won the 2017 World Championship 100 meters from lane 8.
    There is absolutely zero physical advantage to being in the outside lane on the straight, unlike around the curve. It's fairly straightforward: these guys win from the outside lane because they are the fastest, and would be equally fast in any lane.

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
    How do I make an eye roll emoji?
    Ok. Never mind. Sorry. My apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    How do I make an eye roll emoji?

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    Your taking about the 200m, the 400m, and the 4 x 100m relay. In a 100m race, you want to be in the middle lanes so you can see and feel your competition. There is an advantage to being an outside lane in a race around a curve because the curve is less tight.
    Well, there apparently can be some advantage to being in the outside lanes in the 100 meters, because if I am not mistaken, Justin Gatlin won the 2017 World Championship 100 meters from lane 8.
    Last edited by The Klingon; 05-21-2019, 03:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
    Well, those middle lanes are not always the best lanes. I guess it depends on the individual. Maybe it is a mind thing. Ask Wayde van Niekerk. LOL!!! I think Noah Lyles run better when he is in those outer lane. If I am not mistaken, Calvin Smith Sr. won his 2nd World Championship running in lane 8. Hell, look what the U.S. women 4x1 relay team did in Rio from lane 1.
    Hey, I'm just saying.
    Your taking about the 200m, the 400m, and the 4 x 100m relay. In a 100m race, you want to be in the middle lanes so you can see and feel your competition. There is an advantage to being an outside lane in a race around a curve because the curve is less tight.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    Regarding Zohri, i don't think I have ever seen an athlete his size with such a great stride length. His last 50m make him seem like he is 6-3. I shouldnt be surprised, he as had all the advantages of living in 3rd world island conditions in the indian ocean in a bamboo shack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03kZPh64Ls

As for Norman , he is so big and strong, I think the 400m is his home and he will be low 43s soon.
    Last edited by user4; 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriella2
    replied
    Norman was running so relaxed here, it was deceptive as to whether he was running all guns ablazing or within himself. He also came off the turn quite wide so could save 100ths there. He has a great, compact style, little wasted movement.

The US is in safe hands with he and Lyles, and Coleman. If anyone wasn't sure after London 2017 that Jamaica's reign in the men's 100 & 200 is now officially over and normal service has returned, they should be now.

Off topic: re Lalova, I could be wrong, but that time ranks her the 4th fastest woman on the women's over 35 all time list, behind Ottey (21.93) Khabarova (22.34) and Ashford (22.47).
    I would like to see her focus on the 200m only in Doha. It's possible the 200m field will be watered down again this year - SMU doing the 400m (and the double is probably not sensible with the timetable) & Thompson may well do one event again - plus she isn't going to be in the sub 11 form she needs to get to the final, whereas in the 200m, opening with a 22.5 could mean she gets down to 22.3 or faster; certainly times to get her into the 200m final. That would be a great achievement at 35.

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    And Lalu ran that time from Lane 9!
    I believe he won the WJC from lane 8 or 9 as well.
    It's about time he gets a middle lane!
    Well, those middle lanes are not always the best lanes. I guess it depends on the individual. Maybe it is a mind thing. Ask Wayde van Niekerk. LOL!!! I think Noah Lyles run better when he is in those outer lane. If I am not mistaken, Calvin Smith Sr. won his 2nd World Championship running in lane 8. Hell, look what the U.S. women 4x1 relay team did in Rio from lane 1.
    Hey, I'm just saying.

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    And Lalu ran that time from Lane 9!
    I believe he won the WJC from lane 8 or 9 as well.
    It's about time he gets a middle lane!

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by LNO View Post
    Lalu, what a prodigy!
    He has now moved up on the IAAF U20 list to =6th performer all-time. Boling is at =41st with 10.13. The best 10 athletes are as follows:

Rank Mark WIND Competitor Date
    1 9.97 1.8 Trayvon BROMELL 13-Jun-14
    2 10.00 1.6 Trentavis FRIDAY 5-Jul-14
    3 10.01 0.0 Darrel BROWN 24-Aug-03
    3 10.01 1.6 Jeff DEMPS 28-Jun-08
    3 10.01 0.9 Yoshihide KIRYU 28-Apr-13
    6 10.03 0.7 Marcus ROWLAND 31-Jul-09
    6 10.03 1.7 Lalu Muhammad ZOHRI 19-May-19
    8 10.04 1.7 D'Angelo CHERRY 10-Jun-09
    8 10.04 0.2 Christophe LEMAITRE 24-Jul-09
    8 10.04 1.9 Abdullah Abkar MOHAMMED 15-Apr-16
    Interesting to note that half the performers are from the last 6 years and there's no ancient performances at all, with Darrel Brown the earliest of the 10 with his 2003 effort.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Interesting to see that Ivet Lalova-Collio celebrated her 35th birthday on the 18th by running her fastest 200m opener ever, with a 22.55 (+0.5) in Osaka.

For comparison, she set her PB of 22.32 (-0.1) in the 2015 Beijing WC semis and opened that year with a 23.39 (-2.0) in Rieti in May (so just over 23 with a still wind).

In 2016, she again set her SB of 22.42 (+0.1) in the semi of the major meet, the Rio OG. That year she opened on 14 May with a 23.04 (+0.7) in Shanghai.

It will be interesting to see if she can take that time down any further this year.

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    Based on this weekend, I would go with Lyles.

Leave a comment:

• beebee
    replied
    Imagine what Norman will do running next to Lyles...

Leave a comment:

• LNO
    replied
    Lalu, what a prodigy!

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I was expecting to see Norman's coach come up to him and tell him "Ok. Two more just like that and we can call it a workout".

"hidden" in the results was a 38.00 for Japan.
    Yeah that 19.8 looked so easy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X