Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ayana (yes, she is still alive) and Caster Semenya in loaded W 3000 at Pre

https://preclassic.runnerspace.com/e...news_id=576762

This is the first mention I have seen of Ayana since that half she ran in India late 2017. I had just about given up hope of seeing her again. She's in very, very fast company at a distance that's at the very low end of her range, so I expect she will struggle, but I am sooooooooooo glad to see her return to action.

As usual, it's waaaaaaaaaay too big a field (16 listed), but what a field! And, guess what, one Caster Semenya is entered! Should be very interesting.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Semenya (her agent) asked to run a 3,000, so the Pre Classic now has a women's steeplechase and a 3,000. Semenya refuses to take medication for her testosterone levels, but the new rules say that applies only to the 400 up to the mile.

Comment

I agree with Alan Shank..it will be very interesting to see how Semenya will do in this world class 3000m field. Prediction...she won't win.

Comment

This is interesting, for both athletes. Ayana has run 8:22 and 8:23, but that latter time is the the most recent at this distance, from 3 years ago. Semenya' best 3000 is 9:36, iirc, from a couple of years ago, but,of course that distance has not been a focus at all -- only raced it twice. I will be interested to see who else is in the field, and what sort of pace they are aiming for. No idea what to expect from Semenya, who has run 3:59 after all.

Comment

Sick field! But Obiri should win this.

Comment

I think Ayana's return is much more interesting than Semenya's participation. Semenya won't be a factor - I can't see her running faster than 8:40 here.

Ayana, OTOH ... we saw her run 14:25 for the 2nd half of the 10,000 in London 2017 and that was after running no races that year! She could be back to full speed straight away!

Comment

Meetings between current Olympic 800 and 10000 Champs are pretty rare I think. I can't see Rudisha and Farah facing each other. Although there are some rather unusual circumstances at play here of course.

Comment

I'm going to predict Semenya ends up in the top 5 and keeps her overall winning streak going for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                  I'm going to predict Semenya ends up in the top 5 and keeps her overall winning streak going for the year.
                  I don't see her being remotely competitive at this distance. What do you mean "overall winning streak?"

Comment

Originally posted by huntinwr View Post
                    I don't see her being remotely competitive at this distance. What do you mean "overall winning streak?"
                    I made a mistake. She is undefeated across all distances from 200 - 5000 this year, but that streak will end here imo. But I do think she will be top 5 in this race.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                      Semenya refuses to take medication for her testosterone levels, but the new rules say that applies only to the 400 up to the mile.
                      What about the 100 and 200?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                        What about the 100 and 200?
                        No. As DoubleRBar said, it's just the 400 through the mile, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                          No. As DoubleRBar said, it's just the 400 through the mile, so far.
                          I simply don't get the reasoning here. It seems to me that Test levels would affect the 100 and 200 to an even greater degree than longer races where the % of aerobic goes up. Hmm...
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Empirically, there have been awfully many intersex women (and accusations of excessive masculinity) in the 800; and the 800 also has one of the highest percentage differences between the men's record and the women's record. (Among the regularly contested distances, it's a close second to the 5000.)

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                              I simply don't get the reasoning here. It seems to me that Test levels would affect the 100 and 200 to an even greater degree than longer races where the % of aerobic goes up. Hmm...
                              The current rule is based on an extensive study that was limited to the events covered by the rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X