Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶2019 mNCAA 5000: Morgan McDonald (Wisconsin) 14:06.01

I will take the first hit at this in my return. I guess I will also add a bit of what I put in the other thread. McDonald, with a 13:19 in hot humid weather, clearly is a better choice than Fisher in the 5000; after all, it is 3-0 in championship races and McDonald has not had to work that hard the last 25 meters in them.
    Last edited by dj; 06-08-2019, 02:39 AM.

2019 mNCAA 5000: Fisher vs. McDonald again

T&FN formchart

1. Grant Fisher Stanford Sr
    2. Morgan McDonald’ Wisconsin Sr
    3. Geordie Beamish’ Northern Arizona Jr
    4. Cooper Teare Oregon So
    5. Thomas Ratcliffe Stanford So
    6. Luis Grijalva’ Northern Arizona So
    7. Edwin Kurgat’ Iowa State Jr
    8. Kyle Mau Indiana Jr
    9. Gilbert Kigen’ Alabama Sr
    10. Conner Mantz BYU So

Comment

The 110 hurdles will be fun, but this 5,000 could be the race-of-the-meet.

Comment

To repeat what I said the other day, what are the PRs in championship races for these guys when the heat index is over 90 - McDonald's is 13:19 and it was not a 'Stanford' time trial. Also a little McDonald tidbit - his girlfriend is from Austin, he has been here a lot of times before [did he go straight to Austin from Regionals?].

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
          I will take the first hit at this in my return. I guess I will also add a bit of what I put in the other thread. McDonald, with a 13:19 in hot humid weather, clearly is a better choice than Fisher in the 5000; after all, it is 3-0 in championship races and McDonald has not had to work that hard the last 25 meters in them.
          Fisher beat McDonald in the '16 NCAA XC

Comment

He has a great chance to beat him in Austin, too.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              Fisher beat McDonald in the '16 NCAA XC
              Fisher did not win; all those others are victories by McDonald. I believe in the XC race Fisher just sat on McDonald and McDonald's primary focus was not fifth place (?) but moving up so he was no 'racing' Fisher per se. McDonald 'only' has three NCAA titles, but all of them are this year; how many does (the slightly younger) Fisher have. Also, McDonald has a National title in an event that is almost as loaded as the 5000 for Americans. If they are both in top form, McDonald wins but we do not know everything about their form. Also, there are some other very good finishers (Beamish iMile Champ, especially is no slouch and might be as good a choice as Fisher, especially in a race that is likely to be slow in the heat and humidity of Friday).

Comment

1 Morgan MCDONALD SR Wisconsin 14:06.01
                2 Grant FISHER SR Stanford 14:06.63
                3 Thomas RATCLIFFE SO Stanford 14:07.92
                4 Gilbert KIGEN SR Alabama 14:08.12
                5 Edwin KURGAT JR Iowa State 14:08.26
                6 Clayton YOUNG SR BYU 14:09.00
                7 Conner MANTZ SO BYU 14:09.20
                8 Kyle MAU JR Indiana 14:09.62
                9 Robert BRANDT JR UCLA 14:10.19
                10 Geordie BEAMISH JR Northern Arizona 14:13.18
                11 Ian SHANKLIN FR NC State 14:13.57
                12 Peter SEUFER JR Virginia Tech 14:13.91
                13 Morgan BEADLESCOMB SO Michigan State 14:17.59
                14 John DRESSEL JR Colorado 14:18.03
                15 Luis GRIJALVA SO Northern Arizona 14:20.86
                16 Kigen CHEMADI JR Mid. Tenn. State 14:22.92
                17 Aaron TEMPLETON SR Furman 14:24.41
                18 Brodey HASTY FR Northern Arizona 14:25.54
                19 Azaria KIRWA SR Liberty 14:27.38
                20 Brian ZABILSKI SR Columbia 14:29.13
                21 Zach LONG SR Tennessee 14:52.83
                22 Cooper TEARE SO Oregon 15:04.51
                23 Luke LANDIS JR Ohio State 15:16.00
                Noah PERKINS JR North Florida DNF

Comment

What happened to Cooper Teare?

Comment

No argument now. Only thing that can be asked is if Fisher should've waited and tried to make a jump later. End of the day McDonald was the best.

Comment

Fisher was not going to win that race. He got exactly what he wanted and he was flat out by the end of the back stretch and McDonald still had gears left. Like all of the four races, this was not a lean at the line; McDonald eased at the end at XC, in this race, and indoors (probably the closest of the three). As I said, I just do not see why people thought this was going to be any different than the other races.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                        He has a great chance to beat him in Austin, too.
                        Not

Comment

Ratcliffe snagging third on a very hot last lap is a sign that there may be an NCAA title in his future. He played soccer instead of running xc in high school, so could be a late bloomer.

Comment

I think Fisher is missing that final gear that other athletes such as McDonald have. He seems to be able to accelerate to a point but just is missing true sprint ability.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                              I think Fisher is missing that final gear that other athletes such as McDonald have. He seems to be able to accelerate to a point but just is missing true sprint ability.
                              If he had that other gear he'd still be running he 1500.

Not sure what his thinking was but the full lap allowed McDonald to recover from the assault and run him down. Unlike Millrose where Fisher had the benefit of shorter straights and tougher turns, the differences in their abilities were exposed on the outdoor oval.

Comment

Working...
                              X