Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2019 wNCAA PV: Tori Hoggard (Arkansas) 14-11½ (4.56)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read the comments attached to the first video. (There are only three.)

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
      i noted the TxTech vaulter pushed the pole down the runway. I think I have seen HS girls do that but is it unique in college?
      I set my collegiate PR that way!

No, it is not common at the collegiate level. Chinne also vaulted like this in high school. She also knows how to carry the pole, I think she just vaults better this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
        Read the comments attached to the first video. (There are only three.)
        [someone] said his average runway speed was faster pushing than when carrying.
        I'm calling BS. If that was true for that guy, he just didn't know how to carry the pole right. We played with it when I first heard about it and it was a total waste of time. You spend half your energy keeping the pole tip on the runway and the other half wondering whether you'll catch it on a box lip that isn't flush at the next venue you go.

Comment

Someone = Tye Harvey. His main problem with pushing the pole was that at his speeds, he had trouble with the tip not always dropping to the bottom of the box correctly.

I never had to "spend energy" keeping the pole tip on the runway... because you know, gravity and all... and I never had to deal with a lippy box for myself or my high schoolers. If lippy boxes are common in your area, I would push the safety issue with your high school association.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
            Someone = Tye Harvey.
            Do you have a video of him doing it in a big meet? I'd love to see that. He didn't when he got 3rd in the World Indoor.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Do you have a video of him doing it in a big meet? I'd love to see that. He didn't when he got 3rd in the World Indoor.
              He did it at the PV Summit one year. I don't have video but here's a picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I don't think you will be able to see this because it is set to friends only, but here is video of him doing it a fw years ago (though this is well past his prime) https://www.facebook.com/brian.elmor...type=2&theater

In a meet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt6o6kLruVo

Sorry I don't have more, his peak was in the days before everyone could video every single thing.

Comment

A direct link to the photo:

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                  He did it at the PV Summit one year.
                  Very interesting. I see it more as a failed experiment that an innovation, but there are indeed times that a vaulter is going through a mental slump and you have to try something 'different'. As I said, we played around with it during summer training and got nowhere. On the other hand, other experiments have worked out great, like putting a little steamer on the top of people to get a vaulter to look up and facilitate inversion by pushing your feet to it and coming off the top. A local school even constructed a ramp on the runway for kids to run down so they could get more speed from 5-left runs. Got them used to hitting the box with more speed than they think they can handle.

Comment

I officiate the vault, including doing a summer series which has a lot of young vaulters. I have had several that have used the pole drag. There is one situation in such meets where sliding the pole is probably the superior technique: meets where it is getting a little dark (our summer meets are in the evenings and some of the locales have the vault outside the best lighting area so sighting the box at speed is 'imperfect'. Hitting the box is easier sliding than placing. Also, I have seen vaulters that routinely had trouble placing the pole in the box (bouncing it, hitting high on the box end, etc.) and they might actually do better sliding, especially because they become anxious after the first problem caused by mis-placement.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                      I have seen vaulters that routinely had trouble placing the pole in the box (bouncing it, hitting high on the box end, etc.) and they might actually do better sliding, especially because they become anxious after the first problem caused by mis-placement.
                      Indeed, that's the situation I alluded to above. It's something you work THROUGH, not stay with.

Comment

Working...
                      X