Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The frequent use of close-up shots in the 800 and 1500, often focusing on just the two or three leaders, made it hard to follow those races, and the frequent change of camera shots during those races was enough to cause motion sickness. And would someone please please please require all directors of meet coverage (particularly those in charge of NBC’s DL coverage) to go get some therapy for their “show the hand ringing the bell“ fetish? A lot sometimes happens during those 30 meters that are missed.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      here's my kvetch on the day (reminding me why for decades I've not watched TV): they're eating up all kinds of time rehashing track wins (with video) from 2 days ago while ignoring ongong field events.
      Welcome to the club .
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        They are in lanes.
        ...and this changes the point how?

I'll give you that in the 4x4 either Dwight himself should have had Houston instead of Arkansas for a couple of reasons and a spotter should have been able to help him. In the 4x100m, I don't think the lane assignments help he or the spotter nearly at all unless they are lanes 2 and 9 that are being missed early in the race.
        Last edited by NotDutra5; 06-08-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
          ...and this changes the point how?

I'll give you that in the 4x4 either Dwight himself should have had Houston instead of Arkansas for a couple of reasons and a spotter should have been able to help him. In the 4x100m, I don't think the lane assignments help he or the spotter nearly at all unless they are lanes 2 and 9 that are being missed early in the race.
          As I said in the other thread, if you're announcing a laned race, you better have a pretty solid idea of who is in which lane.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
            As I said in the other thread, if you're announcing a laned race, you better have a pretty solid idea of who is in which lane.
            You can say it as often as you'd like but the switching from race to race of uniforms makes errors such as this much easier to come by. You really think an announcer in a fairly wide open event has time to view which lane a team is in in the middle of a track all while attempting to call the rest of the race and identify which team is out of a race?

You're a better man than I. I was watching the race live and, while it happened didn't realize which lane was out until the straightaway. Then I had to remember which team was in which lane.

Comment

I guess we just see things differently.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                and the stadium guy had LSU still in the race.... obviously even stricter uniform rules are called for (one of my pet peeves)
                And mine!!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  And mine!!
                  It's an odd conundrum. Obviously announcers and fans would like one color scheme per school. On the other hand, if I'm running in an event, I'd like to be able to choose which uniform I prefer. On the third hand, nations in international championships have to wear what they're told, so the precedent exists.
                  A school can change kit form meet to meet, but yeah, at the bigger championships [conference, regionals and nationals] you should pick one kit for the entire team (you can have different cuts of it) and stick with it.
                  And, personal pet peeve, don't go with the whatever current design the company is pushing for everyone. Have your own kit! It is so stupid to watch a DL meet and 2/3s of a distance field is in the same kit!!

I really like it when a runner wears something distinctive like a tied headband or an arm-sleeve or a flower in her hair (Montano and Little). FloJo was the best - ya never misidentified her in a race!
                  Last edited by Atticus; 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

The 4x100 must be the toughest race to call. Two-turn stagger, not just 8 guys like the open 400 but 32, lots happening quickly, pretty much semi-controlled chaos (and that's just for the teevee guy). So on the one hand, an error or two might be forgivable. On the other hand, if there ever was a race Stones et al should study up on and know the lane assignments cold (and the singlet colors as the guys are getting set up), it's that one.

Comment

I had a panic as we had a major power outage at 5:45 that was initially forecast to not be too ling, but then at 6:45 got revised to 'hours more'; it affected everything west of campus for a mile. Because it was a Friday night with the NBA game coming I was not sure what to do with no wi-fi and no cable, and noisy bars of NBA fans to contend with. Went to a neighborhood restaurant that we go to with some frequency which worked pretty well (except for the guy sitting right under the TV trying to impress a girl - he was a really good runner and once ran a 5:59 mile...). Finally, the outage was over about 15 minutes before the 5000 so I ran home to watch it at home.

Comment

My God it never ends! They cut away in the middle of the women’s 5000 for an interview with Nehemiah, albeit nice, but really? Really? Can’t we see the race with the voiceover in the background? Do we have to see pictures of him and comparisons with Holloway during the race? What BS.

Comment

Sometimes they continued to show the race on an inset. The should do so universely when interviewing during a race. In fact, there is really no real to show the interview, at least after 5-10 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                            My God it never ends!

Comment

Working...
                            X