Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"why no one watches baseball anymore"

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "why no one watches baseball anymore"

    very interesting article.

    it's posted here instead of Not Track because there are some nasty parallels in play with our sport.


    https://www.thenation.com/article/wh...d-sox-yankees/

  • #2
    The baseball problem is that the ability of the players, especially hitters, has made the game time problematic.

    Players are far more aware that taking a walk or beating a pitcher into throwing extra pitches is worth the time and effort. This means more pitches and pitchers taking their time on the mound making sure they win that battle.

    Secondly, way more home runs are being hit, which means more pitchers running in from the bullpen.

    Two easy fixes: Speed up batters and pitchers, expand strike zone.

    Comment


    • #3
      I was a huge fan years ago....but it bores me now. ....

      Comment


      • #4
        Scanned through AM radio channels on way home, almost every one was providing Audio coverage of a baseball game.. my first thought was , what genius.. they found a way to make the most boring sport in the US into a one dimensional insufferable droning.

        Comment


        • #5
          Link to the mentioned Gallup Poll (.pdf). TnF gets a mention!

          Comment


          • #6
            I can watch baseball if I am at the game. I cannot watch baseball on television.

            Comment


            • #7
              a baseball radio brodcast is the perfect backdrop to working in the yard

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gh View Post
                a baseball radio brodcast is the perfect backdrop to working in the yard
                A baseball telecast is the perfect backdrop for taking a nap.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I prefer football on radio these days....especially the Bears...being in Oregon now I can't get the Bear games live on TV....but I can easily get the local station doing the Bears broadcast....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by booond View Post
                    Players are far more aware that taking a walk or beating a pitcher into throwing extra pitches is worth the time and effort. This means more pitches and pitchers taking their time on the mound making sure they win that battle.
                    MLB should introduce pitch clocks. Some minor leagues and college games have already done that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                      MLB should introduce pitch clocks. Some minor leagues and college games have already done that.
                      And force batters to get in box at a certain time. But an expanded strike zone would force batters to swing and not sit and wait. They need it called by robot.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gh View Post
                        a baseball radio brodcast is the perfect backdrop to working in the yard
                        That's my favorite way to consume baseball. I can be mobile and do stuff.
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Speaking of games that last too long, is anyone watching Wimbledon?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            I prefer football on radio these days....especially the Bears...being in Oregon now I can't get the Bear games live on TV....but I can easily get the local station doing the Bears broadcast....
                            I no longer watch or listen to pro football, but when I did, I always preferred the radio, even when I was watching the game on tv. The announcing was usually much more informative. In fact, I was lying in bed watching the infamous "Heidi" game on tv with the sound off and listening to the radio broadcast. I wasn't at all upset when the telecast went off the air to switch to Heidi. I just kept on listening and knew exactly how the game ended.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
                              Speaking of games that last too long, is anyone watching Wimbledon?
                              The men's doubles match is, I guess, one which only the tennis aficionado would appreciate.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X