Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louisville had AAA ball when I was growing up, the Colonels, farm team for the Red Sox. In the mid-70s they moved to Pawtucket. Then in 1982, St. Louis moved their AAA team to Louisville, the Redbirds. That year they broke the minor league attendance record, drawing 868,418 fans. In 1983, they drew 1,052,438 fans, more than Seattle, Minnesota, and Cleveland in the big leagues. They played only 135 regular season games, so if the attendance total does not include playoffs (which would likely have been just one series against the other division winner) they averaged 15,477 per home game, more than seven major league teams.

Comment

Oh, yeah...and if people don't want to watch baseball anymore, no one's going to stop them.

Comment

I enjoy watching a game when my travels take me to a minor league site - whether Rookie, A, AA, or AAA.

A favorite recent site was the Cal Ripken ballfields off I-95 in Maryland. Class A team for Baltimore across the street from two hotels that overlook amateur youth diamonds. Great stuff.

Comment

I do agree re ticket prices ... I really like to go to my nearest major league team's games but it is somewhat costly. And there is a AA team in the area -- relatively high level of play, great little stadium, great seats for $9.

Comment

Working...
          X