Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the 3 semis, 2+2 came from reducing the number of rounds from 4 to 3, i.e. you get 24 into the semis instead of 16. I remember in 1960 the 800 had four rounds, not sure when that changed. They used to run heats in the 10,000. I think reducing the number of rounds has resulted in fresher athletes -> better finals.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
      I think that the 3 semis, 2+2 came from reducing the number of rounds from 4 to 3, i.e. you get 24 into the semis instead of 16. I remember in 1960 the 800 had four rounds, not sure when that changed. They used to run heats in the 10,000. I think reducing the number of rounds has resulted in fresher athletes -> better finals.
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank
      I think there were four rounds in the 800 in LA in 1984 despite a boycott which probably reduced the entries by about 10 athletes or so. Other than that I think there have been 3 rounds in all the other Games I can remember (1976 onwards).

While the 3 semi-finals format is far from perfect it is a compromise between making athletes do 4 rounds at one extreme and eliminating something like 65% of athletes in the first round at the other.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
        Not to mention rain conditions from race to race.
        I think it's been shown that on modern tracks with modern spikes, traction is even better on wet tracks than dry. Go figger.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
          Not really; the slower 2nd-placers get lanes 7 and 8 (or 8 and 9), which are great lanes in the 200 and 400.
          Yes they are. But no one really wants to be in the outside running blind with all their rivals inside them in a championship final. I know the Men's 400m world record was set that way but it would not be a choice. In any event it is a huge risk running to come second with only 2 to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by etuoyo View Post
            Yes they are. But no one really wants to be in the outside running blind with all their rivals inside them in a championship final.
            More and more, coaches and athletes are seeing the real benefits of lanes 7 and 8: easier turns and you can focus on executing your own race. Trying 'harder' in the 200/400 is usually a recipe for disaster. Running smarter is the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              More and more, coaches and athletes are seeing the real benefits of lanes 7 and 8: easier turns and you can focus on executing your own race. Trying 'harder' in the 200/400 is usually a recipe for disaster. Running smarter is the goal.
              Concur. My own personal experience (for what it is worth) was that the desire to catch up to the next outside lane resulted in me tying up more than anything. Not seeing your opponents can lead to running scared, which for me, focused my attention on fundamentals.

I suppose it really depends on the individual and how they respond to the different stresses.

Comment

Working...
              X