Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Des Moines

So - I'll be hitting up Des Moines next Friday-Sunday.

Anyone know anything about getting around there/ parking / eating?

I'm staying down town - do I need a rental car to get to Drake - or are there shuttles/ Ubers to get there.

Move this thread wherever if it's not appropriate here. Thanks

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post

I'm staying down town - do I need a rental car to get to Drake - or are there shuttles/ Ubers to get there.

Move this thread wherever if it's not appropriate here. Thanks
    I believe that Drake is about 2-3 miles from downtown Des Moines. Perhaps Uber/Lyft might be the best options.

Comment

I rented a car there last year and will probably do the same again this year, but Uber might be a good choice. I've never done Uber at a stadium after a game. I don't know if capacity/price/logistics might be issues with thousands of people getting out of a stadium at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        I don't know if capacity/price/logistics might be issues with thousands of people getting out of a stadium at the same time.
        Not directly related, but I wonder what the attendance will actually be like this year?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
          I rented a car there last year and will probably do the same again this year, but Uber might be a good choice. I've never done Uber at a stadium after a game. I don't know if capacity/price/logistics might be issues with thousands of people getting out of a stadium at the same time.
          It is not like a football game, where everyone streams out at once. There will be a rush when the last event is over, but I bet a ride share would be doable. Or walk somewhere nearby to eat and then head back. Or hang out with track friends awhile first

Comment

I believe there is actually a decent bus system there (DART) that gets you from downtown to the university fairly quickly.

Try https://www.ridedart.com/mydart/trip-planner

Comment

Excessive heat warning in effect through this weekend, but temps forecast in mid-to-high 80s for 25-28, thunderstorm only mentioned for Sunday. Of course, this could change quickly.
              Cheers,
              Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                . . . Or walk somewhere nearby to eat and then head back.
                I don't recall there being anyplace nearby to eat. But I can't really say that I've looked. I generally head right back to my hotel and eat somewhere nearby. This year, I'll probably grab something to eat at the stadium on Thursday--the meet ends very late. But post-meet dinner downtown seems doable on the other days.

Comment

Jethro's BBQ is roughly one lap away from the track

Comment

Jethro's is legendary, but the stadium is basically in a residential neighborhood and for a collection of restaurants I think you need to head downtown.

ps--Des Moines is a very good restaurant destination. I've had many fabulous meals there.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post

Once you get settled the cheapest option to get to/fro the stadium would be Des Moines extensive bike share program, with multiple stations located throughout the downtown and Drake stadium area.

https://desmoines.bcycle.com/
                      There are no strings on me

Comment

I still do not know if I am going, but if I do so I will be driving. I will have some space in the car.

Comment

I'm thinking of driving from Indy ( 8 hours!) and being too cheap to stay in a motel, instead taking my tent and staying in a campgrounds 15 miles on out on the west side. Part of the adventure...

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                            I'm thinking of driving from Indy ( 8 hours!) and being too cheap to stay in a motel, instead taking my tent and staying in a campgrounds 15 miles on out on the west side. Part of the adventure...
                            LOL!!! Word??????

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                              Jethro's BBQ is roughly one lap away from the track
                              I'm not a BBQ guy, which is why I didn't think of that as an option.

Comment

Working...
                              X