X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Nowhere near it at the Pan-Ams. Didn't make the 200 final.
    Well, this is just another case of my hopes falling short. Her performances earlier this summer seemed to indicate a better level of fitness. I hope this last performance does not indicate something more troubling for her (like a recurrence of the injury).

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    Thanks, ATK. I was not tracking that. I just saw on the front page that she [Irby] was nursing a minor hamstring tear following the early collegiate season, as well. Hoping to see her back at the front of the pack, soon.
    Nowhere near it at the Pan-Ams. Didn't make the 200 final.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    He is no Jakob Ingebrigsten, but Drew Hunter seems to be doing okay.

On the other hand, Alexa Efraimson...

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Irby only ran indoors then went pro.
    Thanks, ATK. I was not tracking that. I just saw on the front page that she was nursing a minor hamstring tear following the early collegiate season, as well. Hoping to see her back at the front of the pack, soon.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    There are some whose performance level would have regressed anyway if they didn't go pro early, and others whose regression was caused by going pro too soon.

Alana Hadley and Candace Hill are obvious candidates for the latter. They just weren't ready physically and mentally for the rigors of being a pro.

I think Mary Cain is in the first category. It's probably the changes to her maturing physiology that caused the hit to her performances, not her decision to go pro.

Not so sure which category is applicable to Kaylin Whitney.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    There are a lot of variables that can play into how well a younger athlete performs as they age. The social support that comes from collegiate experience can be a great help to some, despite the obvious distractions of classes, etc. Others, like Noah Lyles and Alyson Felix seem to flourish without it.

Baseball has always allowed kids to go pro right out of high school (and even earlier). If they are unhappy with their draft position, they can enter college and be eligible for draft, later. (The rules for NCAA differ from JUCOs). Draft status is based on the potential that is seen in the athlete, at the time of the draft. Most players will find their draft status higher after three years of college, but that is not always the case.

In short, young athletes may well peak at different times. Someone who excels as an 18 year old, may have fulfilled most of the promise he has.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post
    Worked fine for Justin Gatlin.
    He spent 2 years in competing in college, so not as early as the one-and-dones or those who turned pro immediately after high school or while still in high school.

Leave a comment:

• curtgod
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    That seems to be the case. Don't think there was ever a full recovery from his Achilles injury.
    which is such a shame given the what if when it comes to his ability, i know this is not the first time talent has been derailed either.

maybe in 100m terms rocket Ronnie will be back to full health next yr and who knows what cravon Gillespie might do?, i do hope bromell could mount a come back if not all the best with his business ventures.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
    I hope I am wrong, but I think Bromell is finished.
    That seems to be the case. Don't think there was ever a full recovery from his achilles injury.

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    Originally posted by curtgod View Post
    on a side note, i believe trentavis friday had just as much upside if not more than Noah lyles over the 100m and 200m, watching him in 2014 as a junior was great.

but talent like that might just decide to turn up again one year out of nowhere, imagine having friday, bromell and baker show up next year with what we already have, one can dream i suppose.

I hope I am wrong, but I think Bromell is finished.

Leave a comment:

• curtgod
    replied
    on a side note, i believe trentavis friday had just as much upside if not more than Noah lyles over the 100m and 200m, watching him in 2014 as a junior was great.

but talent like that might just decide to turn up again one year out of nowhere, imagine having friday, bromell and baker show up next year with what we already have, one can dream i suppose.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Sha'Carri Richardson, Candace Hill, Kate Hall, Tia Jones, Kaylin Whitney, Lynna Irby, Samantha Watson, Trentavis Friday, Kendal Williams, Josh Hoey all went pro early (at various ages). How is that working out for them?
    Worked fine for Justin Gatlin.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    I... Higher education isn't for everybody.
    unless you're Jeff Spicoli

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I never understood Hoey going pro. Ajee Wilson was already on the cusp of world class and had pretty much beaten everyone in the world the same age as her. I don't think she would have gained much by thrashing NCAA competition for however long she did it. Hoey was clearly the best in the United States, but was just good in terms of a U20 internationally, and definitely would have gotten something out of competing in college.
    I think he just didn't like school and was happy to be done with attending classes and studying, and he considered Oregon only as a last resort in case no sponsor signed him as a pro.

Nothing wrong with that. Higher education isn't for everybody.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Why question Irby and Richardson? They basically just turned pro.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X