Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sally Pearson announces retirement

Probably deserves its' own thread.

Australia's most successful track athlete of the last 20 years announces her shock retirement. Though her injury problems in recent years are well-known, I still had to check to make sure the date wasn't April 1.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympi...184d99fd617f8e

ETA - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...mpics/11386464
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 08-06-2019, 02:32 AM. Reason: added another link

2012 Olympic Champion
    Double World Champion
    World Indoor Champion
    World Youth Champion
    Commonwealth Games Champion

Reduced 100H NR from 12.93 to 12.28

Comment

A great pity and an even greater career.

Comment

nothing quite like her!

Comment

Didn't capture the nation's attention like Cathy Freeman, but for mine she's the best Aussie female athlete of the modern era. Despite the injuries her longevity was very impressive, especially given her success in junior ranks.

Comment

She was a great joy to watch.
            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

What a disappointment. I was looking forward to watching her this WC and Olympics.

All the best to her future!

Comment

Sad to think that today - 7 years ago - Sally commenced her 2012 Olympic campaign in the heats of the 100H.

Sadder still to remember - maybe 18 years ago - I said on a track message board 'Australia won't have a top-class hurdler until Sally McLellan gets into senior ranks'. Feeling old(er) today

Comment

Great stats here https://twitter.com/David_Tarbotton/...134648833?s=09

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                    The "most dominant Aussie in any event" stat is astounding - 97 performances in 100mH before 2nd best Aussie (12.82).

Comment

Very nicely argued: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...06-p52ebq.html

Comment

Awesome athlete! Hope she enjoys her retirement

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                          Sad to think that today - 7 years ago - Sally commenced her 2012 Olympic campaign in the heats of the 100H.

Sadder still to remember - maybe 18 years ago - I said on a track message board 'Australia won't have a top-class hurdler until Sally McLellan gets into senior ranks'. Feeling old(er) today
                          I'm not surprised by this, especially after she didn't run at Oceania to focus on her Euro campaign - and then had no Euro campaign.

She (and Sharon) should be really proud of her achievements, especially as they were achieved without an existing environment of hurdling excellence as a base.

If not for Sally, Pam Ryan's 12.93 from 4 September 1972 would have remained the AUS record until 29 March 2015, when it would have been broken twice by Michelle Jenneke with a 12.92 (+1.2) heat and a 12.82 (+1.3). Of course, you'd have to ask the question, "How fast would Jenneke have been without Pearson to lead?"

Comment

Here is a chart of Pearson's senior hurdles performances in finals from the age of 17.

There are a total of 186 races with at least 6 finals in each year except for 2016, 2018 and 2019 which had 3, 4 and 2, respectively.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The 100mh hurdles is indeed a young woman's game. Only one woman over 30 has broken 12.4 (Gail Devers), and only one more has broken 12.45 (Dawn Harper-Nelson).
                              Last edited by 18.99s; 08-06-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X