• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made it to the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/53075670

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

Many athletes are not tested often, so getting three failures is less likely, even much less likely; Coleman has been tested many more times, and it is much easier to pick up three misses. So, saying thousands do it is not really accurate, because they do not do the same thing (three out of 50 is much different than three out of five).
      Coleman was tested 11 times in 2019. Cyclist Chloe Dygert, world champion in the time trial and individual pursuit, was tested 22 times. Notably, she didnt miss a single one.

If you're a pro, act like it and take care of your business.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

• Originally posted by guru View Post
        Coleman was tested 11 times in 2019. Cyclist Chloe Dygert, world champion in the time trial and individual pursuit, was tested 22 times. Notably, she didnt miss a single one

If you're a pro, act like it and take care of your business.
        I agree with your basic sentiment, but how is it necessary to be tested 11 times in one year. Likewise, in the case of the cyclist, how is it necessary to be tested ever freaking 2.3 weeks ! What sport can survive that kind of oversight regime ? Is this reasonable ? Is MLB,NFL,NBA, or NHL doing this type pace of testing.

Comment

• There is absolutely no stipulation that anyone should be called. Apparently there is a rule that says the tester cancall in the last 5 minutes of the time slot but they are under no obligation to do so.

I've no idea why that is even an option. As far as I'm aware no calls are supposed to be made as it gives athlete warning and time to potentially tamper with urine. They certainly aren't done in the UK and I've never heard of them happening in other countries either.

He was extremely lucky to get off on some nonsensical technicality last time, the fact that he would then choose to A - Make his time slot in the evening and B - Choose to go Christmas shopping during it, is entirely on him?

The system is absolutely nothing like probation.
          Flumpy
          Last edited by Flumpy; 06-17-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post

I agree with your basic sentiment, but how is it necessary to be tested 11 times in one year.

Because you keep missing them?

11 is nothing. Surprises me he isn't tested far more.

Comment

I agree with your basic sentiment, but how is it necessary to be tested 11 times in one year. Likewise, in the case of the cyclist, how is it necessary to be tested ever freaking 2.3 weeks ! What sport can survive that kind of oversight regime ? Is this reasonable ? Is MLB,NFL,NBA, or NHL doing this type pace of testing.
              I'd say 11 times a year is fair. For it to act as a deterrent athletes need to know they'll get tested regularly and at unpredictable intervals. That unpredictability is made more difficult if you're only testing say 5 times a year.

I'm not sure MLB and & NFL are the best examples. Even in Britain people sports fans who don't like those 2 sports will have heard about how (in)famously lax they are in treating PED issues. I don't know about NBA or the NHL.

Comment

• Paul Chelimo stayed with us for two different three week blocks of time in 2018, to get altitude exposure at our home at 8500'. We had plenty of time in the evenings and weekends eating dinner together (eating was his second job) and hanging out and talking. He seemed not to have a problem with the testing protocols and the "I'll be here, then here, then here" requirements. Part of the job. Testers came to my house one day while he was there and I was at work.

Comment

I agree with your basic sentiment, but how is it necessary to be tested 11 times in one year.
                  Well if there's something 'illegal' that you can take that will have lasting performance benefits but all traces of it and its metabolites are gone in 4 weeks it is arguable that 11 tests a year is insufficient.

Also not all tests would be necessarily part of a routine out of competition testing program(me) organised by WADA/USADA/whatever but may include tests at competitions that are performed by those from the country you are competing at.
                  Trickstat
                  Last edited by Trickstat; 06-17-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• I can't decide who is showing the most stupidity here, Coleman himself or his management team—which stands to incur big losses if its share of the revenue stream goes away—which in the wake of the earlier misses hasn't instituted some major oversight into what a major cash cow is up to in this regard. (This all making the assumption, of course, that he's' actually an inoccent victim)

Comment

• Either extremely stupid or extremely guilty. Second time with this nonsense? Take a hike . .

Comment

• With all the hassles, besides the infinite more money, I'm not surprised anyone would much rather be a footballer.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43036338

Comment

• Oh dear...

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                            I can't decide who is showing the most stupidity here, Coleman himself or his management team—which stands to incur big losses if its share of the revenue stream goes away—which in the wake of the earlier misses hasn't instituted some major oversight into what a major cash cow is up to in this regard. (This all making the assumption, of course, that he's' actually an inoccent victim)
                            100% agree.

Comment

Those leagues don't need to test as much as track and field. The more skill is required in a sport, the less the athletes need to dope. In basketball, doping is not as useful. You must have the skill to shoot or have court vision or position yourself for a rebound or block shots plus numerous intangibles. In track on the other hand, its all mostly brute strength or endurance. Therefore the impact of doping is much more significant. In terms of how much doping helps an athlete, Track and basketball are on opposite ends of the scale. If the NBA hardly tests players, most fans would not care. The others are somewhere in the middle.
                              mungo man
                              Last edited by mungo man; 06-17-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mungo man View Post

Those leagues don't need to test as much as track and field. The more skill is required in a sport, the less the athletes need to dope. In basketball, doping is not as useful. You must have the skill to shoot or have court vision or position yourself for a rebound or block shots plus numerous intangibles. In track on the other hand, its all mostly brute strength or endurance. Therefore the impact of doping is much more significant. In terms of how much doping helps an athlete, Track and basketball are on opposite ends of the scale. If the NBA hardly tests players, most fans would not care. The others are somewhere in the middle.
                                Doping wouldn't have an affect in football? Or basketball? That's a new one....

I agree fans don't care....

Comment

Working...
                                X