Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having the WC this late is simply dumb.

And here in the U.S. good luck competing against the NFL, College Football and MLB Playoffs.

Originally posted by beebee View Post
    And here in the U.S. good luck competing against the NFL, College Football and MLB Playoffs.
    All the world's premier soccer leagues are in full swing, which is even 'worse' than these.
    On the other hand, when sport seasons over-lap, especially in their critical phases, that tends to increase niche-sport interest, because the appetite for competition is already whetted.

Comment

I think it is way too late also....but I don't think it will make much difference to the non track crowd....

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        All the world's premier soccer leagues are in full swing, which is even 'worse' than these.
        On the other hand, when sport seasons over-lap, especially in their critical phases, that tends to increase niche-sport interest, because the appetite for competition is already whetted.
        On the third hand, I'm not sure having WC during summer holidays is good for increasing viewership, either.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          I think it is way too late also....but I don't think it will make much difference to the non track crowd....
          Hey, anything that extends the international elite T&F season has to be a good thing, right? That said, early to mid-September feels about right, as that pesky cross country is in full swing by then.

We need to set some ground-rules, at least for the USA athletes:

Jan to Mar: indoors
          Apr to May: national season
          June: nat'l championships
          Jul to mid-August: int'l season (DLs)
          late Aug: WC (every year but)/ OG
          early Sep: DL finales
          Sep-Nov: XC
          Dec: OFF!

Comment

If athletes were used to, fine but this meet is almost always in August so they aren’t used it and I think results will show that!

Comment

USATF in June continues to be an incredibly bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                But what would be the right time to have the US nationals? Having them later would mean the top stars have to miss a significant part of the European DL season and the earning opportunities that come with it. I don't think they would take it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  We need to set some ground-rules, at least for the USA athletes:

Jan to Mar: indoors
                  Apr to May: national season
                  June: nat'l championships
                  Jul to mid-August: int'l season (DLs)
                  late Aug: WC (every year but)/ OG
                  early Sep: DL finales
                  Sep-Nov: XC
                  Dec: OFF!
                  Aren't we just a tiny bit Americancentric? There is life outside the US of A you know. We should have WCs every year, so American fans don't get bored once every four years? I prefer the old way, where WCs and ECs were once every 4 years, gave athletes one year every cycle to take it easy, treat injuries properly, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                    Aren't we just a tiny bit Americancentric? There is life outside the US of A you know. We should have WCs every year, so American fans don't get bored once every four years? I prefer the old way, where WCs and ECs were once every 4 years, gave athletes one year every cycle to take it easy, treat injuries properly, etc...
                    Also, September XC is very much an American phenomenon. The international XC season is December-March. And how many people running US collegiate XC are likely to make WC teams anyway?

Comment

1964/68 Olympics were even later, Oct. 14-21 for athletics in Tokyo, and Mexico City 10/13-20
                      The '91 worlds in Tokyo were 8/23-9-1, but 2020 Olympics in Tokyo are 7/31-8/9 for athletics, in stark contrast to '91 and especially '64. There was an article recently by a Japanese doctor (perhaps like our Surgeon General?) warning of the danger of heat stroke for athletes and fans.
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank

Comment

Olympic Games are different, they are THE sports highlight of the year, comparable to the Superbowl. Athletics world championships are just another sports event like 100s every year. 64/68, can you even compare to nowadays? Did they have anything like the overcrowded athletics calendar of today back then?

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                          Also, September XC is very much an American phenomenon. The international XC season is December-March.
                          Here in the UK, the first inter-club leagues generally start in mid October. It is rare to see an international senior race cross-country before about mid November. Although many of them may do club road relays before then.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            Originally posted by Powell View Post
                            But what would be the right time to have the US nationals? Having them later would mean the top stars have to miss a significant part of the European DL season and the earning opportunities that come with it. I don't think they would take it well.
                            end of July, when so many major European nations frequently do it.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                              Aren't we just a tiny bit Americancentric? ......
                              the original note clarified from the get-go what the thrust was: <<We need to set some ground-rules, at least for the USA athletes:>>

Comment

Working...
                              X