X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

absolutely correct

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
      Wilson would seem to be almost a prohibitive favorite, but I have a sense that Rogers might pull off an upset today.
      And the prohibive winner lost.. oh dear it does happen. Rogers ran sensibly

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
        And you were proven correct
        She had no business being in the final with that blatant shove in the semi
        But I don’t understand why Rogers was so far back in the first lap.
        you mean you have never seen pushing etc like that before in an 800m. Where you been sir??

Comment

Originally posted by wibblesWOO View Post
          And the prohibive winner lost.. oh dear it does happen. Rogers ran sensibly
          Hence the "almost" because indeed it does happen! The Ugandans clearly have arrived and even if Wilson is in 1:55-56 form next year, they could improve to that level as well. It should be a battle royale in Tokyo!

Not sure about the Rogers ran sensibly part ... someone with silver medal aspirations doesn't usually leave that big a gap.

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
            Totally agree. Wilson and Rogers are a class or more above the rest of the other us female runners
            Really? I did not see Rogers winning any DL races. Green made huge strides this year but then the season caught up with her. I rate Green with at least as good a chance as Rogers next year. As for this race, I think that the 26.x cooked Wilson a bit; she could have run 27.5 and still controlled the race from the front and causing a little more congestion behind is probably a good thing.

Comment

Rogers's 100-meter splits according to the race analysis:
              27.22 (200) - 15.88 - 15.95 - 15.28 - 15.12 - 14.87 - 13.86

Wilson 26.94 - 15.40 - 15.62 - 15.64 - 14.54 - 15.06 - 15.64

Nakaayi 27.46 - 15.21 - 15.56 - 15.49 - 14.51 - 15.08 - 14.73

I think this supports the theory that Nakaayi, while undoubtedly in excellent shape, also (whether by accident or design) avoided going out too fast and then timed her effort in the later stages just right. She ran at the most even pace of the medalists.

Comment

The strange thing is that Nabil from Morocco was DQed for similar thing in the men's semi final... IAAF judges are a joke!

Comment

Rogers's finish was stunning! Had she started her charge a bit earlier, she could've been champion!

Comment

Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
                    Rogers's finish was stunning! Had she started her charge a bit earlier, she could've been champion!
                    Yeah, I was really pulling for her at the very end there.

Hard for me to be happy for the winner after her pushing in the semi.

Too bad for Wilson. You never know when it's going to be your last best shot at gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by wibblesWOO View Post
                      you mean you have never seen pushing etc like that before in an 800m. Where you been sir??
                      I watched the semi again it was a BLATANT DQ for pushing both Sum and Goule but neither protested because they made the final

Comment

• If the USA ran team tactics like the Kenyans and Ethiopians do, then Ce-Aira Brown could have "paid attention" to Nakaayi or least led Wilson into the final curve. I like Wilson and I'm hoping she finds that final bit of grit to command a championship. I also like Rogers a lot and now I am rooting for her just as much as Wilson.

Comment

• is there a video of the semi? haven’t found it on yt. would like to see the shoving & pushing.

Comment

• Originally posted by tm71 View Post
                            Totally agree. Wilson and Rogers are a class or more above the rest of the other us female runners
                            So was Steve Holman, once, in the 1,500, good enough to make global finals (3:31 PR); almost had the nuts (as they say in poker). That is, until he let everybody get into his head, and he crapped out at national meets (1995, 1996) on tactical and slow races.

I really hope that doesn't happen here. Ajee has solved every puzzle, except maybe 2 (especially on the world level): Close the deal on the homstretch, and maybe take a chance on the backstraight and use the Pamela Jelimo playbook to break away from the pack and put distance between herself and the rest before the final turn. She held back way too long on the backstraight, and let Nakaayi challenge her on the turn. And she was broken at the top of the homestretch.
                            Last edited by CookyMonzta; 10-01-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Does Wilson, who had a perfect season going to this point, rank #1 in the W800?

Magic eight ball says...yes. Rest of season too strong to be mitigated by this performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X