Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenyans in US colleges

Tennessee was bragging that they finished 5th at Arturo Barrios Invite. Not sure if that's a big deal or not. But the Vols finished behind Florida and also MTSU, who won with what looks like a lineup of Kenyans. Some people frown on bringing in Kenyans, but as long as it's legal, I'm all for it. I want to win. No one ever says a word that college tennis is dominated by foreign players.

https://flashresults.com/2020_Meets/...1_compiled.htm

The foreign force is great....I have friends from England whose son is running for Boise State...

Comment

Aussies have been having an influence in the NCAA; just at Wisconsin you have a 1/3 in the 1500 the last two years, XC, 3000/5000i, 5000 outdoor. This year there is another Sydney-area frosh. In addition, there seem to be a growing number from NZ. England has always had a few making big impacts, etc. So, it extends beyond Kenyans.

Comment

And let's not forget the Irish.

Comment

It's rare that American citizens win every event at the NCAA track & field championships. I can't remember the last time it happened (good research project). That's because you have to include the relays, all the field events, and all the running events.

Comment

Don't forget our Canadian imports.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
              Aussies have been having an influence in the NCAA; just at Wisconsin you have a 1/3 in the 1500 the last two years, XC, 3000/5000i, 5000 outdoor. This year there is another Sydney-area frosh. In addition, there seem to be a growing number from NZ. England has always had a few making big impacts, etc. So, it extends beyond Kenyans.
              Plus Scots like Liz Lynch/McColgan, Meg Ritchie and Josh Kerr.

Comment

I would like to know just how many countries are represented in the ncaa track universe.

When I was in college, I was the only American on the team with a full scholarship. We had athletes representing Jamaica, Ghana, Uganda, Hungary, Japan, Russia, Germany, Somalia, Canada, Kenya and probably a few other countries that I’m forgetting. We were a diverse team.

I remember at the time Tennessee bragged about being an all american team, then when they imported a European Javelin thrower, the coach justified it by saying Americans don’t throw the Javelin so it’s ok.

Comment

There have been 5+ Aussies at NCAA finals most year this decade (in both XC and track)

Comment

USTFCCCA does good work tracking this. From 2018: https://www.ustfccca.org/2018/06/fea...they-come-from

Comment

Back in the ‘70s there was a lot of grumbling about foreign athletes in the NCAA, particularly when the number of scholarships were reduced significantly and recruiting foreign athletes was seen as negatively impacting the development of US athletes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-130a21243ba6/

Comment

The situation in the 70's included runners a good decade older than most collegians at the time. I was a huge fan of the WKU Brits (Nick Rose, Tony Staynings, Swag Hartel). With the age issue aside, I think the international flavor will only help to keep our stable of home grown collegians better prepared for the next level.

Comment

Nick Rose was only 22 when he won the 1974 NCAA cross country championships....

Comment

Staynings was 23 when he last appeared in NCAA XC results (fall 1976).

Comment

Suleiman Nyambui was only 5 years older than Salazar....And Henry Rono was only 6 years older....

Comment

Working...
                              X