Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 marathoners in T&FN AOY top 10?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3 marathoners in T&FN AOY top 10?

    Is it possible that this year we could have three marathoners in the T&FN top 10 athletes of the year?

    Kipchoge won a tough London Marathon (2:02:37), where the top 3 finished within 40 seconds of each other (and I'm not even considering the greatest training run ever);

    Desisa was 2nd in Boston and ran a respectable time in hell (Doha >30°C) to win at the World Champs (and he's running Sunday in NYC);

    Bekele missed the WR in Berlin by 2 seconds, when few even thought he would win, let alone come that close.

    What say ye?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 10-31-2019, 06:27 PM.

  • #2
    Or none in the top 10, because so many other athletes did better ?

    Comment


    • #3
      I like EK, BK OK, I'm not feeling Desisa.

      Comment


      • #4
        with only a single race to his credit, Bekele won't even get a nomination

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gh View Post
          with only a single race to his credit, Bekele won't even get a nomination
          Sad!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm 100% certain there will be 2 Marathon runners in the AOY Top 10's Kipchoge and Brigid Kosgei.

            Remember her???

            Comment


            • #7
              That is two different top tens. For Kipchoge, does he have more than one race? London and ?? 1:59 non-race

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                That is two different top tens. For Kipchoge, does he have more than one race? London and ?? 1:59 non-race
                In 2017, EK finished 8th in the AOY voting. In their Marathon rankings (admittedly with different metrics than AOY voting), the T&FN folks said, "We decided that the "enhanced course" mark in Monza, just like a wind aided time, was worth considering, albeit devalued" (see the Dec 2017 issue, pg. 22). I suspect they will take a similar view this year.

                One difference though. In 2017, EK had the fastest time of the year while winning Berlin. This year, he won London, but does not have the fastest time of the year. Although I would think that his 2:02 in London is equal to KB's 2:01 in Berlin.
                Last edited by bobguild76; 11-01-2019, 05:50 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gh View Post
                  with only a single race to his credit, Bekele won't even get a nomination
                  Not even for coming that close to the WR, on a course like Berlin's? <;-(

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
                    I'm 100% certain there will be 2 Marathon runners in the AOY Top 10's Kipchoge and Brigid Kosgei.

                    Remember her???
                    By my opening post, it is obvious I was referring to the men's top 10. There's no question Kosgei will be in the women's top 10.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I like EK, BK OK, I'm not feeling Desisa.
                      So what happens with Desisa now? I slept during the first hour of the NYC Marathon, but I heard he dropped out at 10K. Twenty-nine days wasn't long enough for him to cool down from that hell run.
                      Last edited by CookyMonzta; 11-05-2019, 09:44 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                        So what happens with Desisa now? I slept during the first hour of the NYC Marathon, but I heard he dropped out at 10K. Twenty-nine days wasn't long enough for him to cool down from that hell run.
                        That's a good question, and I wonder how the rankers will value (or not value) the NY race. In 1974, Frank Shorter ran the Honolulu marathon 8 days after winning Fukuoka, did poorly (for him), but the rankers dismissed that result when ranking him. (see the Jan 1975 issue)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                          Not even for coming that close to the WR, on a course like Berlin's? <;-(
                          What do you mean "on a course like Berlin's"? That course has been the venue of more WRs than any other in the last 20+ years.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X