• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Cain and Nike

From today's New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/o...gtype=Homepage

Heartbreaking

Comment

I never really followed Cain's career that much outside of occasionally skimming topics posted here, but this was tough read/watch. I hope she is in a good place now, and achieves whatever running goals she sets out for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lassie View Post
        From today's New York Times.
        Talk about an endless landscape of red flags!
        There are so many ways that could have all been avoided (and I hope the parents of other girl phenoms read that), but that's now spilt milk, so I also hope Mary, now 23, can pick up the pieces and enjoy the rest of her life, secure in the knowledge that she thrilled many of us - how many people can say that?

Comment

I continue to believe that young athletes should stay in the university system. That isn’t a perfect answer but this is unlikely to have happened had she spent a few more years growing up.

That said, who knows if she wouldn’t have had her career blown up some other way.

Comment

I read the NY Times article earlier this morning, but now I've just looked at the 7-minute video that accompanies the article. Very powerful stuff!

Comment

The 2014 WJ 3000 win was epic! Sad that a career and life was destroyed. Hope she can pick herself back up!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                I continue to believe that young athletes should stay in the university system. That isn’t a perfect answer but this is unlikely to have happened had she spent a few more years growing up.
                You may be right, but I'm not sure this was because she was a 'pro'. Many collegiate women develop eating disorders because coaches, peers, or even they themselves cause them to feel 'fat' when they are anything but.

Comment

Amazing the continuous stream of bad press since Salazar got the boot..it's just one horrible story after another......even if by some miracle he wins on appeal he is finished....

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    You may be right, but I'm not sure this was because she was a 'pro'. Many collegiate women develop eating disorders because coaches, peers, or even they themselves cause them to feel 'fat' when they are anything but.
                    There are so few opportunities in track that getting to the top is a very unforgiving process. I guess this sort of carnage is inevitable.

I’m not familiar enough with the actual numbers but I’m guessing it looks something like this in any given year in the US.

100,000 high school girls compete in distance races.
                    1,000 college girls compete in distance races.
                    10 women will make a living in the professional ranks.
                    1-2 might make a mark internationally.

Of the 990 who don’t go on to successful pro careers and the 8 or 9 who don’t make an international there is likely to be a lot of damage done to those who almost make it.

I’d be curious if other countries do a better job of nurturing top, rising talent.

Comment

Awful and all too believable. Wonder whether with time, healing and new guidance, Mary Cain can ever become a competitive world class runner again? Brave to come out and reveal everything she said.

Comment

There are so few opportunities in track that getting to the top is a very unforgiving process. I guess this sort of carnage is inevitable.

I’m not familiar enough with the actual numbers but I’m guessing it looks something like this in any given year in the US.

100,000 high school girls compete in distance races.
                        1,000 college girls compete in distance races.
                        10 women will make a living in the professional ranks.
                        1-2 might make a mark internationally.

Of the 990 who don’t go on to successful pro careers and the 8 or 9 who don’t make an international there is likely to be a lot of damage done to those who almost make it.

I’d be curious if other countries do a better job of nurturing top, rising talent.
                        In Britain it is almost all just club running....there is hardly any interscholastic competition at the secondary level....And inter universities competition but nothing like the college system here....

In Europe all the top athletes really go into soccer at an early age where all the money is....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          In Britain it is almost all just club running....there is hardly any interscholastic competition at the secondary level....And inter universities competition but nothing like the college system here....

In Europe all the top athletes really go into soccer at an early age where all the money is....
                          Is it true that the women go into soccer as well? I tried to look at the difference between the salaries of the Portland Thorns(women) and the Portland(Timbers). It appeared that the men made about 20 times what the women do. In other words, an outstanding woman athlete probably would make more in track than soccer,

Comment

Same here. I wonder what it is like for those in Kenya who come to the training camps but don't make it to the top ranks.

Comment

Is it true that the women go into soccer as well? I tried to look at the difference between the salaries of the Portland Thorns(women) and the Portland(Timbers). It appeared that the men made about 20 times what the women do. In other words, an outstanding woman athlete probably would make more in track than soccer,

Women's soccer in Europe is still not much of a thing....development programs still barely exist....though they have improved a lot from 20 years ago ..

Other than men's soccer it is hard to think of a sport in Europe, men and women, that you can really make a living at long term...perhaps men's cricket....even there it is really top heavy....

Comment

Working...
                              X