Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ones to watch: 2020 and beyond

It's a big year in 2020 with the Tokyo Olympics and then the start of a new Olympic cycle. Who are some up and coming talents who might make an impact next season and beyond as we lead up to Paris 2024? This might be athletes in the junior ranks who are progressing nicely; athletes we have been following that have moved training camps or events and shown some potential; or even familiar names that we believe will make an impact. Let's share some of these names we might not all be aware of!

I'll start with a few names and then add more later:

The Dutch Touch
    There are a couple of young Amazonian Dutch women who may be able to take over the mantle from Schippers over the coming years, more so over the longer sprints.

Femke Bol
    6ft (183cm) tall and only 19 yrs old, she leads the world junior lists over 400mh this season with a EJR of 55.32 she ran in Doha.
    What makes her remarkable is this is her very first year of running the event! She qualified for Doha with her 3rd race ever over 400mh. She made the SF there and also won the European Juniors over 400mh this summer, as well as come 7th in the 4x400 in Doha.
    She is coached by Bram Peters (former 400m runner) and Laurent Meuwly (Swiss coach to Lea Sprunger, 4th in Doha 400mh).
    Her 400m flat PB is 52.98 and she was the Dutch National Indoor Champion over 400m 53.24 in 2019.
    She has the ability to make the final in Tokyo, the way she is progressing, but Eugene and beyond will be her time.

Lieke Klaver
    She's also 6ft (183cm) tall, but unlike the long legged willowy Bol, she is built like a cross fitter, with powerful shoulders. In fact she is possibly too powerful for the 400m. She turned 21 this year and runs all 3 sprints, her PBs are 11.46/22.96w/ 23.35/53.18
    Her coach is Roger Ummels but she is currently on training camp with Lea Sprunger et al.
    She has been part of the 4x100 team in the background, and became a key part of the 4x400 squad this year, finishing 7th in the 4x400 in Doha.
    She only ran her first 400m last season.
    She said of the 2020 season "I'll be focussing on the 200 & 400. I prefer the 200 but I have to improve my 400m as well, for the 4x400m", aiming for sub 23 and sub 53. Meeting the Tokyo standard of 22.80 over 200m might be a bit too much, so it may be 2021 onwards where she makes the individual. Watch this space.
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 12-17-2019, 05:00 PM.

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Femke Bol
    6ft (183cm) tall and only 19 yrs old, she leads the world junior lists over 400mh this season with a EJR of 55.32 she ran in Doha.

Lieke Klaver
    She's also 6ft (183cm) tall, but unlike the long legged willowy Bol, she is built like a cross fitter, with powerful shoulders. In fact she is possibly too powerful for the 400m. She turned 21 this year and runs all 3 sprints, her PBs are 11.46/22.96w/ 23.35/53.18
    They look the part!

https://i0.wp.com/78.media.tumblr.co...pg?w=605&ssl=1

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R1XkVDVrI...18.54%2BPM.png

Comment

For me it's Sha'Carri Richardson and while she's a larger name for what she's already run in a historical sense on one day in two races, it's what she can do now to establish herself in open ranks.

I know given her times she's not going to have the surprise element of others, but the pressure to now deliver is what interests me.

She has the physical gifts to challenge SAFP who is favourite to be the first woman to win three 100m Olympic titles and reignite the traditional USA and JAM battle, young guard vs the GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
        For me it's Sha'Carri Richardson
        When she couldn't replicate those times in Doha (understandable for a collegian), I made a mental note wondering whether she could ever reach that peak again. Sure hope so!

As I've already opined before, this decade, 2010-2019, shall be henceforth referred to as the Mondo/Sydney Decade, as they take turns doing the impossible.

Comment

more importantly, she couldn't replicate them in Des Moines, so didn't even make it to Doha! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            When she couldn't replicate those times in Doha (understandable for a collegian), I made a mental note wondering whether she could ever reach that peak again. Sure hope so!

As I've already opined before, this decade, 2010-2019, shall be henceforth referred to as the Mondo/Sydney Decade, as they take turns doing the impossible.

Yeah like lose when they were expected to win....

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              more importantly, she couldn't replicate them in Des Moines, so didn't even make it to Doha! :-)
              Oops!

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Yeah like lose when they were expected to win....
                While they can't go the decade undefeated, are you betting against them? I love that DM is already saying she can step it up again in 2020, and certainly SK and PL have more in them, but the arc of ascendancy for both these wunderkinder seems to indicate LOTS more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  While they can't go the decade undefeated, are you betting against them? I love that DM is already saying she can step it up again in 2020, and certainly SK and PL have more in them, but the arc of ascendancy for both these wunderkinder seems to indicate LOTS more to come.
                  What decade are you talking about....they are fine athletes...calling the present decade their decade seems over the top....

And who knows what the next year brings....let alone the next ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    What decade are you talking about....they are fine athletes...calling the present decade their decade seems over the top....
                    And who knows what the next year brings....let alone the next ten.
                    Yes, that was exactly my point (overtoppedness). The history of T&F is replete with great promise unfulfilled. But these two feel different to me. They seem bred for the challenge. Mary Decker and Alyson Felix seemed similarly constituted.

I can't predict the future, but I did mean to pronounce them the Athletes of the Decade in prospect . . . not to jinx them or cause undue expectation, but simply as a reflection of their own talent, work ethic, confidence, and, perhaps most importantly, their mature perspective, esp. for athletes so young.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                      For me it's Sha'Carri Richardson and while she's a larger name for what she's already run in a historical sense on one day in two races, it's what she can do now to establish herself in open ranks.

I know given her times she's not going to have the surprise element of others, but the pressure to now deliver is what interests me.

She has the physical gifts to challenge SAFP who is favourite to be the first woman to win three 100m Olympic titles and reignite the traditional USA and JAM battle, young guard vs the GOAT.
                      Hopefully most people on here would have heard of her, but it's a good call. And of course you're right in that this is about delivering on the big professional stage now. There is absolutely no doubt she has the physical talent, so let's see if she can cope with the expectation.

This new crop of US sprinters we saw emerge this year need to step it up a gear. US trials will be as exciting as ever in Olympic year

Comment

And y'all both are spoiling this thread with Richardson, Mondo and McLaughlin LOL.
                        Tell me about some people I dont know about.

Comment

I'm looking forward to Aleia Hobbs. Her 2018 injury set her back a bit, but I can actually see her being one of the leading Americans in the 100m for years considering what she did in the NCAA and in the year plus since then.

Kenny Bednarek is also one to watch considering everything he did last year before his unfortunate injury.

Comment

Amy Hunt - 200m

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                              Amy Hunt - 200m
                              Funny I was thinking about her a few days ago. Will be interesting to see how she does next year. Right out of left field last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X