Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
    Here's a young female triple jumper to watch. She's Leyanis Perez of Cuba. She's 19 years old and she has a personal best of 14.32 meters, which is the qualifying mark for the Olympics. She could be a big star in the triple jump in the coming years, perhaps a rival to Yulimar Rojas.
    Update: Leyanis Perez now has her best jump of 14.48 meters, which is the Cuban national under-20 record.

Comment

• Bol/Klaver update with some quotes from a post race interview:

On Bol
      The decision to run Bol in the 400m was to experience the feeling of competing again, and they chose the meet in Belgium partly because they knew she wouldn't have too much opposition, as she had some "minor aches and pains after heavy workouts....(so) didn't want to take any risks"
      Meuwly said there is still room for improvement: her acceleration was good, but around 100m to 150m she slows down. Bol said "that remains a topic. I do it unconsciously. I have to pay more attention" She was also a little surprised "I was feeling pretty tired after those tough training sessions. The race felt ok but not great."

On Klaver
      The decision to run the 100/200 in Belgium was for "speed incentives". Klaver wasn't happy with her 200m (22.83) but Meuwly was more happy as "she retained her relaxation in the bend until the end". However, Klaver said she felt she wasn't reaching her top speed.

Next Stop:
      Montreuil - Klaver 400m
      FBK Games - Bol 400mh & Klaver 400m

Comment

• Has anybody mentioned Jorinde Van Klinken of the Netherlands. She has the world lead for the discus at 70.22 meters and she is just 21 years old. If she can develop her discus skills she can throw far, perhaps even break the world record. I am probably over optimistic about the world record but one can imagine.

Comment

Has anybody mentioned Jorinde Van Klinken of the Netherlands. She has the world lead for the discus at 70.22 meters and she is just 21 years old. If she can develop her discus skills she can throw far, perhaps even break the world record. I am probably over optimistic about the world record but one can imagine.
          I've mentioned her a lot, but not on this thread!
          But she's the shocker of the year, IMO.
          Her 205 at Conference was a big improvement over her previous best.
          Then she PR's by almost 11 feet to 216.
          Then another 14 feet to 230!

Who saw that coming??
          Not me!!

The WR?
          Maybe in a few years, health staying good, etc!

Comment

• The long careers of many discus throwers suggests to me that it is one of the less injury-inducing events.

Comment

• Throwing far in the American hurricanes doesn't really mean that much. I'd like to see her compete in the DL against Perkovic and the Cubans before I declare her the new superstar.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
                Throwing far in the American hurricanes doesn't really mean that much. I'd like to see her compete in the DL against Perkovic and the Cubans before I declare her the new superstar.
                While agreeing that she has to compete against the best before being named the next superstar of women's discus I hope that you will agree that she does have potential.

Comment

Throwing far in the American hurricanes doesn't really mean that much. I'd like to see her compete in the DL against Perkovic and the Cubans before I declare her the new superstar.
                  bingo!

Comment

• I think those American hurricanes tend to visit Europe quite often, as well

Comment

Has anybody mentioned Jorinde Van Klinken of the Netherlands. She has the world lead for the discus at 70.22 meters and she is just 21 years old. If she can develop her discus skills she can throw far, perhaps even break the world record. I am probably over optimistic about the world record but one can imagine.
                      LuckySpikes and I discussed van Klinken a few years ago, when she was the only junior athlete in the Doha WC discus competition: https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...-events/60181-

It's no surprise that she has improved significantly, although we and she would be wise to ignore the 70m for anything other than marketing perspective. She may be able to improve to that standard over time but her other throws throws this year in the 63-66m range are probably more indicative of what she can throw in an OG stadium.

She says her favourite event is LJ! https://thesundevils.com/sports/trac...-klinken/11909

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                        She may be able to improve to that standard over time but her other throws throws this year in the 63-66m range are probably more indicative of what she can throw in an OG stadium.
                        She's had just 2 competitions in the range you're talking about, with 5 out of 9 below 60.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

She's had just 2 competitions in the range you're talking about, with 5 out of 9 below 60.
                          5 out of 9 below 60m is a factual statement but it doesn't tell the truth of her season. Those were her first five throws this year and after the first five, she then had a sequence of 62.58, 65.94, 70.22, 64.44.

Given that she has moved to the USA to work with a new coach, changed her lifting program significantly, converted from a glider to spinner in shot put and still set PBs, adjusted her discus technique and is only now starting to work into her peak, I think it's more likely that she is indeed a 63-66m thrower rather than a sub-60 thrower.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
                            Amen and hallelujah to that!! That is why I am not getting excited about sprinter Erriyon Knighton, the 16 year old phenom from Florida.
                            Don't count out Knighton. He just turned 17 in January and broke Bolt's U-18 record for 200 while defeating Trayvon Bromell
                            & Zharnell Hughes in late May with a sizzling 20.11 that qualifies him for the Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMh5yven610

Comment

• Mariya Horelova (16.11.02), 6.49 (1.4) at the UKR U23 champs on the 8th of June

Comment

• Big breakthroughs by 2 young European ladies in the distances recently.

Tonight in the 5000 in Nice the 2-time European U20 XC champion, 21yo Nadia Battocletti (ITA) ran 14:58:73, taking 18s off her recent PB.

And a second PB in a week for 19yo Claire Palou (FRA) in the Steeplechase in Nice, a 3s PB this time with 9:31.46.

I think that makes her the 3rd fastest teenager ever not to be born in Africa, a little bit faster now than Europe's current two best, Gesa Krause and Anna Emilie Moller, were at the same age.

For further context Palou is currently faster than all but 1 of the 21-23 year olds in the NCAA. (That might change after tonight's NCAA final though?)

Comment

Working...
                                X