Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 T&FN World Rankings

I guess we can't talk specifics until the non-subscribers can see the info, but the mHJ gives one pause. I consider the Rankings sacro-sanct, so by no means is this an actual criticism, but the mHJ 1-2 explanation is a doozy. It should engender some demurrals.

Demurrals? What the hell is demurrals? Is that something you see on the wall when you reperuse something?

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
      Demurrals? What the hell is demurrals? Is that something you see on the wall when you reperuse something?
      Yer killin' me, Smalls!

Comment

Demurrals are things that folks paint on dewalls . . .

Comment

That's an... interesting and surprising #1 pick; but he does meet the eyeball test ("let the devil stay in the details and just pick the best jumper of 2019") pretty well, and in a year like this maybe that's enough.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
            That's an... interesting and surprising #1 pick; but he does meet the eyeball test
            I think most people's eyeballs would pick #2 as #1. They both have major flaws on their record, so why not go with the most obvious choice?

Comment

Looking at the details, I thought their pick was ok.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                Looking at the details, I thought their pick was ok.
                As the commercial says, "Sometimes 'OK' is not good enough!"

Comment

That was a hard one to rank. Think about it this way - if Barshim was coming in as a newcomer, it would be tough to place him at #1 with that season.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley View Post
                    That was a hard one to rank. Think about it this way - if Barshim was coming in as a newcomer, it would be tough to place him at #1 with that season.
                    He's not, and we knew he was injured right up till the WC. The event was utter chaos till he resumed his rightful place on the throne and restored order until seditious usurpers denied him!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      As the commercial says, "Sometimes 'OK' is not good enough!"
                      So let me clarify my comment. I think it was the right pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        He's not
                        But that's irrelevant as far as world rankings are concerned. Each season is ranked on its own. Prior history does not and should not matter.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I agree, which is why I had no problem with the T&FN ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                            I agree, which is why I had no problem with the T&FN ranking.
                            As I said in the OP, the Rankings are what they are, the Experts trying to make an informed decision, much like the BCS Committee. But like that Committee, there will be 'informed' disagreements with the process that led to the decision. I would have had a tough time with 1-2, as I'm sure many on the panel did, and I would like to support any 'demurral' as being reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                            X