X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blacklily
    • Oct 2005

Jolanda Ceplak Eyes Outdoor 800 World Record

Apparently after the Ostrava Super Grand Prix in the Czech Republic, Slovenia's Jolanda Ceplak said she is fit enough to break Jarmila Kratochvílová's 1:53.28 WR (1982).

Big words, especially in Kratoch's homeland. Ceplak is the world indoor recordholder, can she duplicate the feat outdoors?

Re: Jolanda Ceplak Eyes Outdoor 800 World Record

i think the person who can break the wr and go under 1;50 is allyson felix in 6 years, after she maximizes her potential at 200-400, with her slender frame and ability to pick up speed as the race progresses, she has that kind of potential, however because she will be so good at 200-400 she will probably never try a serious 800, if she does attempt it, she should not try it until her body matures and she has maxed out on her 2-400 times, if she does this i believe a womens sub 1;50 half mile is possible in 2009. i would have liked to have seen a prime michael johnson run a serious half mile, with 43 second quarter speed even if the leaders went out in 48- 49 it would feel like jogging for him, and the last 200 meters he would be using a different energy system so the whole key would be between 4-600 meters and the world record would have been possible.

Comment

Re: Jolanda Ceplak Eyes Outdoor 800 World Record

MJ would have had a tough time running under 1:48. Too many people underestimate the aerobic component. That's why Americans lag behind the Kenyans, Bucher, etc. Peter Snell had some choice comments on that also. Felix should stick to sprinting. If she jumped to the 800, it would be a waste. She'd never be world class, where she may very well be a top flight internationalist in the sprints.

Comment

Working...
      X