Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden West Invite (National Records Pole Vault)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden West Invite (National Records Pole Vault)

I was at the Golden West invite today and two national high school records were set in the pole vault today!

Not Too Shabby!

Re: Golden West Invite (National Records Pole Vault)

There is a link to the GWI results on the T&FN site.

Comment

Old vaulter, I'm trying to figure out who you are. Did you happen to grow up in a logging town but now work as a firefighter? Just curious, I may be completely off. By the way Skipper may have made 18-6 but apparently his bigger poles didn't make it to Sacramento. I'm guessing he made the record height on 4.90m poles but needed 5m poles.

Comment

First guess was wrong, but I'll
        >let you keep guessing for awhile..., but I'll
        >give you a few hints.

I broke the old national
        >record, which had stood for six years, by
        >one-half inch. My national record at the Golden
        >West Invitational lasted less than a year before
        >it was broken by another vaulter. And here's
        >another (big) hint: The Golden West was still in
        >Los Angeles when I competed there.

I was going to guess Paul WIlson, but I think that would still be off by a few years.

Comment

Skipper's older brother, Art, still holds the American H.S. record for javelin. Tragically Art died 2 or 3 years ago.
          Are there other siblings to hold American H.S. records?

Comment

Ahh, O.V., how much higher is the Claremont HS record after all these years?

Comment

old vaulter wrote:

>Paul Wilson broke my record.>>

I have to admit I had to cheat and look it up, cuz for the life of me I didn't know who had preceded Wilson (I guessed John Cramer, but that was wrong), and I won't blow OV's cover, but to illustrate just what happened to the vault in the early '60s, note that he set the HSR at 15-1/2 in 1963.

In February of '64, Wilson (a junior) became only the third prep 15-footer ever, clearing 15-3. By the end of the year he was up to 16-0 and by the end of his senior year was up to 16-6 3/4. OV (no offense) had been relegated to oblivion. In two seasons his HSR was a foot and half in the rear view mirror.

Comment

I cheated too... I asked him who he was. I couldn't find any records online that went that far back for high school records!

Comment

From memory (I'm at work without any reference books), Jim Brewer was first HSer over 15ft, and the second was Marc Savage - I think

Comment

From memory (I'm at work without any reference books), Jim Brewer was first HSer over 15ft, and the second was Marc Savage - I think

Comment

pardon my disjointed memory. who was the up and coming vaulter - same era as wilson/seagren ... who was parlyzed via a trampolene accident. was it wilson?

Comment

OV aka MS, I looked you up and have actually heard of you! I vaulted in HS in the 60's, so that must be it. I have to contradict you: "right place at the right time" is grossly oversimplifying the fact that you were the 'best ever' when you vaulted.

Comment

surely you are not thinking of Brian Sternberg, who was a WR holder in the early 60's. He was not "up and coming", he was there !

If I have my years straight he was paralyzed in a trampoline accident in 1963. By the end of that year his WR of about 16' 7" had been boosted by Pennel to a shade over 17'.

Comment

surely you are not thinking of Brian Sternberg, who was a WR holder in the early 60's. He was not "up and coming", he was there !

If I have my years straight he was paralyzed in a trampoline accident in 1963. By the end of that year his WR of about 16' 7" had been boosted by Pennel to a shade over 17'.

Comment

>pardon my disjointed memory. who was the up and
                              coming vaulter - same era as wilson/seagren ...
                              who was parlyzed via a trampolene accident. was
                              it wilson?<

No, it was Brian Sternberg.

Comment

Working...
                              X